• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Pipe Bending

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kendell - I had a red 77 Vega wagon before I moved here that I was in the midst of putting a 350 under the windshield, ya could take yer hand off the steering wheel and lay it on the carb. I got bored and cluttered up in the shop and had it hauled away. I found out yesterday that the ol lady liked the car and wished I'd finished it so ... I hit ebay and found that one 2 hours before auction end so I called the guy ... lucky I was the only one that bid on it. Now I need a 4.3L and tranny ... anybody in south east PA ?? ;)

Kraig - no schematic unless I make one up ... everything else works on the welder so that has to be the problem. I tested the trigger switch on the gun , put 12v on the 24v drive motor and it runs. Welded one day then next day nothing ...
My 20 year old Industrial B&D 4.5" grinder went south yesterday morning too. I used it then 30 minutes later needed it again and nothing ... lasted years longer than I thought it would.

I need an air jitterbug , need to get TOY ready to paint then I'll have to work on the Vega ... Sears has one $74.99 with 15% discount through tomorrow.

Gotta run the TOY down the road - back later.

PS- Kendell send pics !!

No Ken I'm not dead. Just hiding. I'm happy to see your Toy done all is working OK. I've been looking up bumpers for my F250, and the prices are not to my liking. I'm thinking about making a tube style and would like your thought as to round or square and is there a standard wall thickness for 2in. tubing? I'm not real keen on going to the local metal place and knowing what to order. I think round would look cool and will close the ends off. I'm trying to kill two birds with one stone and make it a reciever as well, but we'll see. Just thought I'd ask.

2 inch would be okay if you double it up (one on top of another) schedule 40 is 0.140" and schedule 80 is 0.280" wall thickness. Rectangle tube will give you a better surface to weld a hitch to but it cost more than pipe.
I used 3x6x3/16" wall tube on the Toy and 2x6x3/16" wall on a friends Jeep CJ6. The Jeep bumper was doubled with a receiver in between them.

Some guys where Jerry hangs out made a comment on it one night. One guy said he liked it and another guy said," He had Weaver make it for him, You could pull a G**d*** D8 dozer with it". I guess that meant it passed their approval ;)

Now here is a Rock Crawler !
59065.jpg

I need to find an old Supra 6 banger for my Toy and and old 4.3L S10/S15 for my Vega project. Cubs are just to slow ... ;)

Thanks for the input Ken! I'm thinking about the square tubing. I'll rate people I know in welding capability: best friend, brother, good friend, bestfriends dad. I would probably get my good friend seeing that I will be towing a heavy trailer with it.

Allen,
I think I have it:
Best Friend's Dad: Making bumper/hitch just to look cool
Good Friend: Making bumper/hitch for towing heavy trailer
Brother: Making bumper/hitch for attachment point on land-based family parasailing adventure
Best Friend: Making bumper/hitch for towing Cub Cadet(s) to Plow Day

Was I close, Earl?

Uh...
Okay, now I'm lost what was I going to do? I've had 4 already and lost myself.
Originally, I posted the order of welding-capable people I knew. The plan is to make a bumper/trailer hitch capable of towing what my truck is rated for. I saw one a few weeks ago on a dually towing a triple axle boat trailer out of a marina and am assuming he had a boat on it because the trailer was dripping with water. I haven't been able to find anyone offering a weight rating for commercial one though, which leads me to want to make one.

Don't worry about being lost, ken has to bring me back all the time, especially when I'm the one who brought it up.
I was even thinking about bending the ends/cutting them to an angle fo looks/possible strengths. Still looking and thinking.

Earl..maybe Ken will look in soon with help. I'm not really familiar with hitch setups, but suspect your gonna have to fasten some heavy steel to your frame. I suspect some hitches trans fer weight to the axle by their design,instead of the rear end of the truck. Think this would affect stability, and also keep front end on the road better. JMHO A.

I'm baaaaaaack ! And look what you have done to my thread ... geez can't go to Springfield for 2 days and leave you guys unattended.

Earl - I can build one that'll haul more than yer ferd will pull ... I'll take the one of the TOY !
clappy.gif

Allen - I don't believe in "weight transfer" hitches. They all mount to the frame behind the axle so how are they going to transfer weight? It can't be done without a fulcrum in contact with the road. Just some dumbass engineer that came up with the theory to sell higher priced hitches.

Got my Vega Wagon home @ 3am my time and I'm dead so bye!!!
Shift.gif

If anybody finds a LEFT (looking at it from rear) Tail Light Lens for a <u>STATIONWAGON</u> Vega I need one !

Earl - You really going to try to pull something with a ferd ? Any class 3 hitch will haul what a pickup can handle. You should see the load we brought back through the mountains of East KY on a 63 stepside GMC. A D6 dozer blade, the pony motor from D6, pto winch with cable from D6, 2 blade cylinders from D6.
59130.jpg

alright ken
I'll bite.
Whatcha gonna do with all that steel???
I have a 73 MF 400 Crawler Loader but I think the D6 will beat mine weightwise.

24,000#

Dudley

PS The Toy looks awesome.
beerchug.gif

Allen - Lots of HOT water !

Dudley - There's a story behind why we drove three hours , slept in the truck and stripped the dozer but I can't tell ya ;) Someone had already begun to cut the tracks with a torch but he was trespassing and we weren't.

Thanks on your poor eyesight ;)

Today's soap opera : I unloaded the wagon off the dolly ... hit the brake pedal and busted another brake line on the Silverado ... first time it was used after driving 1358 (round trip) miles towing the car. Talk about cutting it close !!!

A guy stopped in here this evening going NUTZ! over the TOY's bed ... if he doesn't buy my truck he wants a bed built on his 87. I told the ol lady that he might trade/give boot between his and mine but she said I'd better keep mine 'cause I'd never get another one if I got rid of it. He said that if he hadn't just bought the 4x4 ext cab S10 he was driving he'd gave me what I priced it at (man could I "build" the wagon then!)

Earl - You want the hitch off my 2166 for your truck ?
whistling.gif

KEN:
So that is what you were doing in Missouri! You need to treat that trailer better. All that valuable stuff will break its back.

Back