• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Pipe Bending

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found a way to move the Vega around and tomorrow haul the old cubs out of the garage ;) ... I need 1-Ton springs!
59227.jpg

59228.jpg

Ken, you gonna be able to get the lenses you need for the Vega down your way ?? If you have a problem give a shout. We have a bunch of salvage yards around here and just a short ride to check a couple if needed. A.

Allen - There's NO junkyards around here anymore with pre-1990 cars. I worked for one in my younger days, I seen them crush dozens of '55-57 Chevys and even 27-29 T's in earlier years.
I've been watching ebay with no luck. I need the front side markers, left rear tail lens, good front bucket seats (I'm hoping to find some Camaro's). I watched a GT steering wheel go for $33 that I should have bid on ... I like GT steering wheels. I put one in the other wagon I had one in my 68 El Camino too.
I should never have got rid of the other 77 wagon I had! It had perfect black interior and red exterior !!!!!!!!
I had planned on trying to put this one on a S10/S15 chassis ... found a forum where one guy told the "how to's" so that's where I'll be going with this one. Hopefully I can get a 4x4 4.3L automatic <u>this time!</u> , that's what I was looking for when I bought my Silverado last year.

The GM 572 looks good too but I'm NOT spending $13k fer an injun !!

Find me the parts and I'll buy'em ;) All years Vega Wagon tail light lens are the same and I think the markers are too.

Allen - I bought both tail light asslemblies and interior door handles off ebay wed. Still need front markers and front spoiler ... need right front frame section and radiator support where the battery acid ate it up!
swear.gif

I pulled the engine out wednesday with the mini TOY wrecker. It's about killed me, I can't straighten out my left hand now ... damn old age and what the doc said aint carpal tunnel is gettin the best of me. If it's not carpal tunnel then why does my left thumb cramp up and draw down flat into my palm ... been this way since I was 15 and it's just getting worse everytime I work. Can't pick up anything , not even a pencil without it doing it!!

Charlie still can't believe I bought a VEGA ... get over it Charlie, it's here
biggrin.gif

I can't believe I made the trip!

That's about what I was affraid of, they're a thing of the past. Thanks for trying though!

KENtuckyKEN

What year vega wagon?
What parts?
There happend to be a junk yard near me that has a lot of older cars sitting around.
I could ask them if they have what you are looking for and the asking price.

But be forworned I have purchased from these guys befor and they dont sell any thing cheap.
I paid $25 for a blue cat eye taillight lens for a 59 chevy biscane and had to trade in my old not matching taillight lens to boot, and that was 10 years ago.

Ken-I know you know about this, but do you have access to a Hollander manual, anywhere? Those side marker lights seem like they were very common in that era, and if you could get the cross ref. we could maybe look in more places. Not trying to shove it off on you, just I don't have that access where I am, now.

Curtis - Yep I'm aware of Hollander. I use to work in a wrecking yard in the early - mid 70's and the ol exchange book was our best friend. Did you know that a 1969 Roadrunner had 21 driveshaft possibilites ?
I'll give the guy a call that I think ended up with the old books and see if he has them.
I've often wished someone would compile such a book for the cubs.

It's too long between posts. Been busy. The bumper will get built, hopefully soon. Got projects going, finish them and get moving along with the truck. Like the wrecker conversion kit Ken!

Earl - This is right up yer alley...
A neighbor stopped in an hour ago to talk over getting his newly acquired little Bronco's frame fixed. He bought one of the old ones from the early 70's and had it stripped to the frame and then blasted only to find cancer in the frame. He took it to the BIG welding shop around here and they told him it wasn't worth fixing, go buy another one! I use to do a lot of repairs that they would turn down or tell people it couldn't be fixed. He's already got $4k in it starting with $2500 selling price.

Got my TOY front bumper painted a while ago. I got it from the Fugly Bumper Co. I'm gonna have to put overloads on the front torsion bars to hold it's nose up after I get the 9500# winch on!
Since I took off the front turn signals with the old factory tin foil bumper I had to come up with new turn signals ... problem solved ! Take off the front marker lights and drill a one inch hole in the backside and silicone a turn bulb in the backside and solder the wires to it then re-install.

Fugly Bumper Co.
61855.jpg

61856.jpg

Rock Slider ($269 pair + ship if bought)
61857.jpg

Rear lights (the square lower ones will be removed!)
$100 worth of semi trailer side marker LED lights.
61858.jpg

I've GOT to get this sucker painted !!!

Ken,
Will the winch mount in the center of the plate on top of the bumper? How thick is that plate, and is there reinforcing needed at the mount area? What about some kind of receiver mount and dual wiring so you can use it front or rear? Looks good so far.
Are you going to be able to remove the bed to paint the front of it?
I know the idea of this vehicle is to keep moving in a forward direction, but are you going to have any kind of back-up/work lights?
You've mentioned heavier springs a couple of times. Airbags? If you mount a welder, compressor, full toolboxes, spare trail repair parts, hi-lift jack, and spare tire on the bed, how much will you have added to the weight of the truck? You could be a one-stop trail repair service.
Sorry for so many questions. Believe it or not, I took some out. It just looks like a neat project.

I'm curious. Up here I got pulled over in my old truck after I put a regular pickup bed on it and didn't put a bumper on. I had made a wood flatbed and had no bumper with that. The chief couldn't give me the same answer twice as to why it mattered all of a sudden. I made one and all was fine I guess. They don't even consider trailerhitches good enough to be bumpers, told a kid after he was pulled over for it in his old K-5 blazer. We screwed a treated 4x4 on top and they didn't care anymore.
I just wondered if they considered the back of your bed a bumper, or if it really matters down there.
I got pulled over a few times and they didn't give me a ticket because the truck was registered and the plates were registered but they didn't correspond to each other but were legal, go figure.

Interesting issue, Earl.. Here in Michigan, they have the bumper law also, but up until a few years ago, rear bumpers were an option on new trucks... Always wondered how the police handled that... (and I worked for 'em ( civilian) for 31 years and never got the same answer twice) ..
confused.gif

Oh man I got a headache !
I'll have to come back later to answer all of 5 year old Bruce's questions ... geez where do these kids get all these questions ......
confused.gif
smile.gif

Back