• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Building a Better PC

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gerry - I'll try it sometime tonight when I can find my second wireless doohickey , think it's in the house.

When I was trying to set up wireless years ago I gave up and bought a disc that was the cats meow for doing it automatically ... NOT! Didn't help a bit. Forget the name now.

1a_scratchhead.gif

My thread ... I bought this space from Honest Joe down at the New & Used Thread store.

I'm sure there's more out there reading or will read this that has trouble with networking.

It's PC related and besides , there's no Cub Cadets harmed in this discussion ... hope that holds true for PCs.

By the way -

Matt - How's that desk coming along ?
Where's the pics and smashed thumbs ?

Too late, I sent you an e-mail.... let us know when you find that router...

wireless on win7 - wireless router on modem - had installed the cd but win7 not working.

little bro hooked up his and it loaded drivers off net , mine's not doing anything , going to linksys website

wireless G matter of fact . need to update to N

A "G"wireless router won't update to "N" it's newer hardware. The wireless adaptors I've seen for PCs usually are backwards compatible i.e - N->G->B , What is it - USB or an internal card??

If you can't get wireless working , try by getting it running wired...and the first thing I'd do is a hard reset (paper clip) of the router..what model is it?? Betting something like a WRT54G maybe??

Linksys doesn't have a Win7 64bit driver for the USB54G.
I guess it's all new hardware that's 64bit compatible and Wireless N ... but then what about my 4 XP 32bit PCs ?

I've been out here in da shack for 14 hrs ... I'm gonna go wake up Kathy and tell her good night , then DUCK before I get shot !

Ken-

Haven't started yet, I'm gonna get the rest of the stuff for the computer and assemble that first. It needs to be a little cooler outside before I go trying to build a desk.

KENtuckyKEN

I guess my post got lost on the pictures of my confuser cooler. so Here is what I use. This runs much cooler now.
228677.jpg

228678.jpg

back out for a few days camping. later Don T

More OC

228716.gif

Gettin 'bout time to quit. Maybe tweak the memory voltage a little.

DonT - Your cooler is almost identical to mine except mine has 1 more heat transfer pipe.

I've never seen RAM mounted as far from the CPU as yours is. You've got room for a bigger cooler if it'd clear eveything else. Most boards have their memory so close that it really causes problems trying to get good coolers. I had one computer once that had the RAM close to the CPU but they had the sockets slanted away from the CPU which helped.

When's your maid coming in and dusting ?
You ever think about using a pressure washer to clean that confuser out ???

Years ago, I made up a bunch of labels like this and put them on all my PCs. I sent some out to a few forum members as well.
happy.gif

228726.jpg

Kraig -

Ah, I remember my old case with that sticker... Of course you know what I use now ;)

228728.jpg

So nobody here is lapping their heatsink and CPU?

And nothing makes a CPU cooler work better than taking in outside air, so folks might consider a flexible duct. I also use HVAC register filter material to cut down on the dust sucked into the case.
lame.gif

Kraig -

Yes you did! LOL

I got that sticker from ThinkGeek.com. I believe they still sell it, among others...

Bryan - Is it really you or is it Memorex ?
The CPU my little Bro has on Ebay right now he lapped it with 1000 grit. I told him I have some 1200 if he's going to lap another one.
He said he'd never lap another one because he wore his fingers raw.
The poor little baby! When I was making / repairing fiberglass boat molds I never had any finger prints or much skin on my fingers. Wet sanding with 400-600 grit 8 hours a day will eat your fingers up.

My theory on lapping is this:
As you bare down on it you'll put more pressure on the edges as you stroke leaving the edges sloped down from the center. It might not be as bad with a CPU since you'll only be using your finger tips but with everything else I've ever tried to flat sand it works that way.

I'm not through tinkering with this one yet so I could end up lapping it ... but that means I'd have to turn it off !

Oh and you kids go a head and put stickers all over your cases now just like you did your lockers in grade school
icon_eek.gif

Forgot the dust bunnies , or in my case smoke.
I've got some ideas on that but I've not been out yet to get filter material.

Over my old military desk I have a duct made with a big (gone now) square filter for automotive intake and flexible aluminum dryer duct being pulled by two 120mm fans. After I moved my PC to the little secretary desk I took out the filter element and put it in the Rodeo I think , one of the vechiles got it because it need replaced and it just happen to be the same size.

I'm going to build an entire room filtration system and put material over the PC fan intakes.

I hope no one is lapping to a polished surface. The HS <u>needs</u> to be flat, but IMHO, a matte surface actually provides more transfer area than a polished one. It's more important to use a high grade of transfer paste, used <u>sparingly</u> and make sure that the holddown devices (clips, screws, high gravity waves) don't exert unequal pressure on the heat sink. I've always used the razor blade trick for applying the compound and then twist the heatsink as I put it on to help squeeze excess compound from between the chip and the heatsink. I've read that with the improvements in HS compounds these days, lapping the chip itself may provide more improvement than taking the heatsink to too smooth a surface (but there goes your warranty...).
KentucK: You did get rid of that old white silicone compound and use a good silver based type - right??

Latest posts

Back