• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Building a Better PC

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gerry - I had a thought around 4:30am ... If a body used real 24k Gold Leaf , just lay the sheet between the two surfaces wouldn't that work better than the compounds ?

DonT - Did you look at the link I posted of the cooler in this thing ? It's half the size of an 8" cap block ! It shouldn't get hot even under full load.

In all fairness for everybody that hasn't checked the specs of my APU (yes APU) is that AMD has taken a 4 Core CPU and built a graphics card (so to speak) into the chip with a Graphics Core Speed of 600 MHz.
Accelerated Processing Units from AMD combine CPU, GPU and Memory Controller in one small package. Features Discrete-level AMD Radeon™ HD 6000 Series Graphics.

Ken

I don`t know what happened to the pictures of the cooler I added in my post ? I did see them and now they are gone.My confusher works good now with the cooler and with the cable internet and 15 meg strength, I kind a like looking around the net more than I used to. Just what are going to be doing with your new confuser that you are building ?? you seem to be going for all the high power goodies. I have a 256 meg video and sound blaster and I`am happy so far.
1a_scratchhead.gif

Don T:
He's building high power gifs.......

Kentuck:
No on the gold leaf,unless it's in micro powder form, mixed with a carrier (see the wiki link I provided as to why). Looks to be a nice machine!

If the top of the CPU and mount surface of the heat sink were silver plated, I wonder how well mercury would conduct the heat? <font size="-2">Health concerns being ignored.</font>

Gerry,

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

He's building high power gifs.......<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

For an example, check out the animated gif he did for me for my profile.

I need to find a GIF welder , be a lot easier to make'em !

Little Bro say's he wants to come down and "play" with the system ... better go get my fire extinguisher ready , he's liable to let the smoke out !

I rip DVDs and convert movies from one format to another and sometimes use the TV card to record since I'm to cheap to buy a TIVO. That's why I wanted to network this one to the HTPC in the house.
Plus it takes a powerful machine to wade through all the BS on this site when Charlie and Hydro Harry get to posting.
biggrin.gif

Kraig:
Yup, wonder where mine is?? (actually, I want to know how he does the two step from the GIF to the JPEG....)

Kentuck...backwards mounted coolers on AND chips = lost $$$ (again, don't ask how I know).

I'm trying to decide what to do with all of the PCs around here, I'm using two, have a ton of old ones (had three in the basement, one in the garage, one for streaming audio....plus Sandy's and the laptop I use up here) Most have nothing but salvage value, but I've always found reasons to keep 'em running until now.

Gerry - I've got 8 running ones + laptop , oops 9 forgot the HTPC and the parts to build another one.

Little Bro put an AMD Phenom II X4 940 3 GHz on auction tonight starting @$50 if ya need one. I thought about it but I've already got one of those from him in the now replaced XP system.

I had an old working TRS80 here until I trashed it a while back , had plans for the case but it got in the way. The first laptop ... sorta.

What'cha mean backwards ???

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

Kraig:
Yup, wonder where mine is??<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

You couldn't afford it
feint.gif

Don't see me with a big monsterous one do ya ?
You have to be a Moderator to get away with a file size that big.

AMD(fat fingered again) Thunderbirds - you could snap the ccoler on 180 degrees off if a couple of caps were bent a little bit to one side..The mating surface was then offset. Tbird would smoke faster than you could say "what's that smell ??".

Well I've got my router in-between XP & 7 with the cable modem tied into the router. As you can see I'm online (win7) but when I put the three together Win7 didn't flinch and say anything about setting up a new network or anything. As far as 7 knows it's still directly on the modem. I can't get a set up network link. It shows hooked to modem when I click setup new.

Xp on the other hand can't get to the modem or see Win 7 machine.

I have always had problems setting up networks! Got it work <u>once</u> between XPs then lost it due to lightening power surge on the wireless router , never could redo it with new router.

I'm trying to use a cabled router ... have used it in the past so it works.

Wonder if I tried setting up wireless instead it might work ??

Wish I knew somebody that could ride a Cushman to my door and fix this ...

Need batteries and it's a 24v system. I thought about using a L&G battery until I got the old ones out and seen they are series connected.

228646.jpg

Ken:
The PCs should have only one network connection enabled at a time. They should be set to get their address automatically. The router should be set to provide DHCP services for all the PCs, it in turn should be getting it's address from the cable modem. I used to manually set configs on my PCs, I just set an allowable range in the router now and let it settle everything. My phones work.... OBTW what brand and model router do you have? Also, can you access the Cable modem (usually HTTP://192.168.100.1 will get you into the allowable stuff)

What are the left two holes fer ?

228652.jpg

228653.jpg

UPS Batteries

228654.jpg

Hey Paint Shop Pro 5 werks in winderz Sleven!

That's not a router..... unless your cable modem is set up to provide DHCP services to your PCs, you've got a problem. BTW while it probably doesn't make a lot of difference, hubs went out of style on LANs a long time ago.. what you would use instead is a network switch - I've got one about the size of a bandaid box that has 5 local ports plus the uplink. I thought you had a wireless router someplace? They usually are a combination of about 5 switch ports plus the uplink plus the wireless. I've used a Linksys wrtg54 forever....

Playing around Over Clocking (2.9GHz base)

228661.gif

Okay so it's so old and I've had it so long I got mixed up in what it's called ... I have an SMC HUB then.

Yeah I've got a Linksy wireless around somewhere but I was gonna save that for running the HTPC out here so I was trying to use the HUB out here with the old XP so I could work on one and send it to the other when needed.
I'm getting tired of running back and forth with a 2gig card. I guess I could blank and old HD and run back and forth with it ... but I've got this old HUB that is feeling lonely
old.gif
biggrin.gif

A good chain would be
Cable modem --> Router --> PCs
Setup of the router would tell it to use DHCP to get its address (it would almost always be 192.168.1.1, but is issued by the cable modem.

Then in the Internet Protocol settings on the PCs, you should set it to "Get an IP address Automatically" and to "Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically"..This should get you running on a wired network..

After that, on your PCs you would see the IP addresses in the 192.168.1.xxx range with a gateway of 192.168.1.1 and a netmask of 255.255.255.0.. I can't tell you on Win 7 how to check it...but on Vista, I can still run "command", get a DOS window and run "ipconfig" to get the basic information in that DOS window..

Well either drag it out or go get a new one.... I'll move this over to email...don't want to break the rules anymore than we already have..
sorry.gif

Latest posts

Back