• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Building a Better PC

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The CASE has landed !

After I recover from carrying the bad boy out here I'll un-box it ...
Ram is the last thing to get ... tomorrow !!
angry.gif
angry.gif

Allen - What's the model # again , I didn't save the link it was sold on.

I remember putting more RAM in my old Tandy 3200 bringing it up to 64meg and it seemed to take wing back then !

Power supply leads are going to be to short looks like in this full tower. Anybody ever splice them ?

KENtuckyKEN

The power cord on my Snapper snow blower for the electric start has the same end as the power cord for your computer (confuser) . I think they are the same on all power cords for the starter.
1a_scratchhead.gif

DonT - You're gonna scratch a hole in yer head if ya don't quit.

Kentuck, never ran into anyone that power harness problems, then again dont know many people that build their own. You gonna steal a pigtail from an old P/S? Heat shrink would be a nice thing there.
My new rig is a Lenovo H405 7723-1LU from Tiger direct as well as other places. (new 3.2 ghz, old .9) (old had 1/2 gig mem, new 4gig) + Win7 64bit.

OK, general question, the new 'puter found the HP monitor and auto set up for it, but some of the characters have color edges or some color instead of black. Think if I loaded the HP driver disc that came with the monitor things would look better?

My MOBO doesn't have a 1394 port !! One of my HD enclosures doesn't work on the USB and I have to use the Firewire connection ... can't use it on this new PC !

Dwarfs my mid tower !
228472.jpg

1 of 3 220mm fans
228473.jpg

Plenty of room ! I don't think the APU (cpu) fan will be able to get any air with the 3 big fans running. (no it's not installed yet)
228474.jpg

The case was advertised as having 1 2.5" drive adapter for the SSD , this one has 2 so now I can send back the extra adapter I ordered.
228475.jpg

Allen - Might help , I've never installed monitor disc.
Looks like they raised your system back up to $459.99

Ken: If I have power lead issues, I go back to the circuit board and desolder the bad ones and solder in the new, good ones. If the issue is the termination, I have a tool for the non-insulated molex connectors. I don't like to splice wires inside the case (I had a bad experience with it once), but I suppose it would work with judicious application of heat shrink.

The problem was the 8 pin being to short but the case came with an extension ;) but the PS leads will be to short if I use the top 3 drive bays.

I like wire nuts and masking tape ...

<font size="+2">NOT!</font>

If you look back through my Pipe Bending thread when I built my TOY you should be able to maybe find pics of soldered and heat shrink wiring on the tail lights ... If not , that's how I roll !

Got my motherboard yesterday...here's what came today:

228509.jpg

Ordered my card reader yesterday since it was half off. I hope there's a sale that includes either the CPU or memory I want, since those are the last two big-ticket items. The day is coming very soon when I get impatient and just order all the rest of it...

Matt - Check Newegg , prices are looking pretty good now.
If you decide later to run dual cards that PS wont be big enough.

I forgot to order a SATA DVD drive for my new build so I thought I'd use the SATA to IDE adapter that is running this HD so that I could get the OS installed this evening with an old drive. NOPE , it didn't work on the drive. Had to order a new drive and Newegg had 3 day UPS shipping for $1.99 !!!

My little bro who is a gamer and overclocker drooled all over my new case. He brought me a nice big cooler for the APU (cpu) for ten bucks.

If I can find something that I have in mind for my case I'll give you guys a good laugh ... IF I can find it. Think Radio Shack has or had them.

Ken-

The processor I need (i7-2600k) has been the same price for about 3 weeks now. I'm waiting for it to come down a bit. I'm aware my PS isn't big enough for SLI, and that's fine with me. I don't think I have enough to gain there to justify the extra expense, and as fast as graphics cards go obsolete, I'd hate to have to replace two $180 graphics cards...

I got the PS installed in the case tonight since I have nothing better to do...there are WAY more cables than I'll ever need on it. Next week when the card reader comes I can install that, too.

I need to start thinking very seriously about building the desk, too, as cooler weather is forecast after next week. I suppose that'll change before we get there anyway.

WARNING: VIOLENCE AHEAD!

I'd like to have some software or programmers or code writers or who ever the hell made this ASUS and Win 7 disc by the freakin throat right about now !

I used an adapter to run my disc drive through the USB3 port since the MOBO has installed USB drivers. The Win7 install disc runs the install window up to the point of it wanting disc drivers installed.... IF it's reading the disc to tell me that then why does it want something that it already has and that I can't give it ???

Solution , run the ASUS disc ... NOT !
It starts up in DOS with a C: promt. It can't run the disc because autorun isn't turned on. So I look for the assetup.exe on the disc on another computer. They hid the setup file in a bin folder NOT out so that a new build with a fresh HD can run it !!!

I tried changing the C: promt like in the old DOS but the disc drive has no assigned letter so that is crap , went from A - G.

Make disc that can't be ran for a new system ... I ought to pack every damn thing up and send it back COD ! And screw Microlimp on no returns for an opened OS disc !

<font color="0000ff"><font face="verdana,arial,helvetica">I've FINALLY out smarted it and the Winderz 7 Pro is installing !!</font></font>

I NEVER give up ... damn I'm having trouble keeping my eyes open, been fighting my eyes since 5pm
yikes.gif
11hrs 56min !

Good on you Ken!. Ya' can't let it beat you!!

Matt, I think you might have the same problem as Ken with wire length to the upper bays on your case also unless your power supply specs. the length of the cables.

Latest posts

Back