• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Archive through April 27, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digger

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
IHCC Sponsor
IHCC Supporter
displayname
Digger
Travis,
Is that the front axle that you sold that kid in Blue Earth for 200 bucks that tried to screw Boner?

All the talk about heat shields and nobody even noticed that one missing !

Travis -- yeller plug wraz makem go f a s t e r

Okay, so for all you sick people that drool over Frankenstein projects (that includes you, Ted!)...

Here's before:
18184.jpg

18185.jpg

18186.jpg

During:
18187.jpg

18188.jpg

18189.jpg

and After:
18190.jpg

18191.jpg

18192.jpg

There should be enough room in there now for a GoldWing radiator, mebbie a Roots blower, and perhaps a hydraulic pump...

Dave -- checked the direction of rotation yet in relation fer da hydro ¿

HE CUT THE FRAME - HE CUT THE DAMN FRAME !!!!!!

Sure did, Ken! The way she spins, the way she sitz... belt's in back, ain't that the $#itz?

Yeah, I cut the frame, I cut the frame... snipped the front off the 149 and grafted on a piece'a 1650 front-end. Stretch was somewheres about 4" or so. I actually made the slice right in the CENTER of the 149's axle support, just on the front edge of the Kohler engine mount plates. Kept the back half of the support as frame-stiffening. I gas-axed The 1650 segment off, and then made a 'cleaner' finish-cut with an abrasive cutting disk about 1.5 inches aft of the 'Frankenstein bolts'... Chamfered it, and MIG'd it back together, and it turned out pretty good.

I moved the 149's axle to the 1650 segment. This puts the engine's weight back atop the axle, and puts minimal stress on my welds. Won't have time tonight, but eventually I'll cut a pair of 1/4" gusset-plates to line more-or-less line the entire engine-bay length, with fittings to bolt to the diesel's mounting-point... should accept and distribute the torque well, and support that weight.

I was recently given a 782 by my parents that I grew up mowing with. Great cosmetic and running condition. I am working on getting an owners manual and service manual. My question: What implements are available for my 782? I have the mower deck and that's all. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

P.S. Is there a site for "Everything you ever wanted to know about your 782"?

Thanks!
j

Dave,
drool.gif
How much did you splice in, about a foot??
Never mind, I just read your new post.......

Travis,
There is a whole lot wrong with that picture.
wink.gif

(Message edited by till on April 28, 2004)

Jason... about every implement imaginable was available for the 782, and the other 'real' x82-series machines. I think the SGT 3-point hitch setup will work on it, as well as all the common ground-engaging implements. You can fit dozer blades, sweepers, snow-throwers, etc to the front, tillers, post-hole diggers, and all sorts'a other stuff to the rear. You could even fit it with adult-toys and a toothpick, but it'd be a DIY-type installation.

Wasn't the 782 equipped with a Kohler KT17? If so, check-see if yours is the KT17 Series II or just the KT17 (aka. Series 1). The first used an oil-pump with 'sprayer' on the mains and rod bearings, while the Series II used full-pressure lubrication through drilled crankshaft. The 'Series I' motors tended to die young with that rinky-dink oiling system (something about slopes, etc) while Series II's apparently managed substantially better. They sound nice, though!

Oh... and if the KT17 dies, you could always stretch the frame and fit it with a 350 Chevy!

the 782 will accept either a IH 3pt, or a 782D style Cat '0' 3pt, the 3pt for the Super is different in a couple different ways. Longer lift arm, no float, Rear PTO hole & shield.

I left WFM with a back blade, 3pt plow & 3 spd tranny. When I got home, I had a 70 w/CI Deck, 72 w/stamped deck, late blown up 782 w/Cat '0', H48 snowthrower, and a IH steel & softside cab. The trailer was full so say the least!

Paul,

I got around to installing the Quiet Kit on my 149 last week. My kit didn't have the short/stubby pipe that connects the engine to muffler. The existing curved pipe was frozen solid to the engine, so replacing it with a 1" iron pipe from Home Depot would be a challenge. So I used my Sawzall and cut the existing pipe short and the new muffler slipped right on. As for the heat shield, I found that I had to drill one hole into the shield, to allow for a bolt sticking up from the engine fins. Onto this bolt is a short bracket which I presume is used to lift the engine out of the tractor. My kit also didn't have the gasket/seal that goes onto the Air Filter cover. I fashioned one by slitting some old windshield washer hose and pressing it onto the AF cover edge. Nor did the kit have the gasket between the carb and AF mounting plate, but my local dealer gave me one.

With everything installed I did notice a decrease in engine noise. I'm sure it's not as quiet as new tractors, but it's better than it was.

Roy

Dave,

Will the Kohler have "Series II" stamped on it somewhere? I have not heard of that problem before. Even if I have the Series I, I think it's done pretty well to run 23 years without being replaced! BTW, how do I find out more about the hitches?

Thanks,
J

Jason C., However <font size="-2">(why is there always a however?)</font> AFAIK neither is still available new so you'll have to watch the classifieds. I think that a reproduction version of the CAT-0 3 point might be available from Cub Cadet Connection (but that might be the Super Garden tractor version), see their link above. The sleeve hitch, AKA Cub Cadet wide frame 3point hitch, version are fairly common on the used market.

Roy N
Thanks for the info, did you use the exsisting heat shield off the 14 hp or was it a new one?
also how much did you trim the elbow?

Thanks

Jason C.

The KT17 is not stamped on the engine. You need to look at the tag on the engine for the Spec Number. KT17 series I are spec nrs 24299 and lower. The series II are spec nrs 24300 and higher.

Jim

Jason- along with other's comments, go to www.Kohlerengines.com and download the KT17 service manual- it covers both Series I and Series II.

It's possible for a Series I to last a long time- I think the thing that caused 'em to die so soon had just as much to do with running angle (like, on inclines) as it did the design. In any event, look up the Serial Number, and check the service manual- it'll positively identify what you've got. Hopefully you've got the II. In any event, they sound cool!

I'm curious to hear if anyone has a connection with a national shipping company that's willing to pick something up at my doorstep (like a mower deck or Cub for instance), strap it to a pallet and then deliver it nation-wide.

I'm just having a tough time finding someone locally who will do that without charging $800 to deliver a mower-deck for example.

Charlie-
That thing brings back bad memories! Did I tell ya I mowed two-acres with it once while my 1872 was down with a trashed deck spindle? I think it took me about 5 hours, but the dealer was closed so I didn't have a choice. By the time I was done, it hated me as much as I hated it!
happy.gif

Art,
That thing set all winter long, I went out this afternoon and it rolled over twice and fired right up, LOL
I was kinda leary of the deck spindle though, Kinda makes you watch your ankle a lot when the pulley has a 1/2" deflection. The wife says I gotta fix that before she mows with it, grin

Hey now, I had some great memorys with that 80......wait a minute, I just remembered when I took it to PD6 in Iowa and it wouldnt start! Arrrrg

Back