• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Archive through May 14, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank Rich,
The owner is a super smart guy but couldn't remember how it came off. Kenny

That Lawn Boy must come with the Simplicity in the background for $2500!

Kentucky:
Great story. Surreal. Will be thinkin' about it all day. . .esp the part about the geese. LOL.

Fishin' for sure brings out the Strange in Nature. Was up in Minn near the boundary waters for a week several years ago. After a day of catchin' nothin' (it was August and hot, and we're not too good), Bill and I sat on the pier that evening chuggin' Pabst. Was a cool dusk. Sun going down to our left. In the north, we could see on the horizon (over the lake) thunder heads skirting along west to east. Far away lightning strikes etched to the ground from the black clouds. We could hardly hear the delayed rumble. We just sat in amazement (in our stupor) and watched the whole thing pass, then called it a night and hit the rack.
The whole night it was quiet. Real quiet. Didn't even hear the racoons underneath the cabin. Then all the sudden around 4pm BOOM! Lightning hit near the cabin. Felt static. Heart pounded. Then heard nothin'.
Was thinking it hit the other room and Bill was dead. "Bill, you awake?!"; reply: "You kiddin'?"
It was the only strike we heard the whole night. Then it was quiet again. Next morning, blue sky.

Geezer -- I never seen any Brock's from that era that I remember , my second guess would have been a B-model Mack. I guess that's one way to keep birds from crapping on yer KW ... cut down the trees !!
No geese were harmed in the telling of sunday morning's incident (that I know of ... but on down the lake I did feel two thumps under the boat - I hope it was just two jet ski riders and not geese !)

Wyatt -- when your neighbors start saying that their LB's want run right or even start , get them delivered to your secret LB shop and clean out the exhaust of the carbon / oil build up then charge them out the exhaust for it ! My grandfather had 2 LB's and he found out the hard way not to mix more oil or the wrong oil.

Ray -- ever see lightening strike a measured four and a half feet from a 100 pound propane tank sixty feet from you ? Ever have lightening strike the scrap steel pile you were cutting up with a torch just as you stepped inside the shop door 30 feet away ? Ever have lightening strike a tree with three strands of barbed wire 20 minutes after you had gone through the gap at the tree ? (the wire was in little 2" pieces for 300 feet) ... another story , wrong place to tell it
happy.gif

Kentucky:
No, I can't say I've witnessed strikes that close. (Maybe your livin' too close to the EDGE). Course, that makes for more exciting storys if you live to tell the tale. . .
The closest strike I've witnessed: about a 1/4 mile from where I stood in a Mississippi state park. (I'm an old track man and I know a 1/4 mile when I see it). A ball of neon blue hit an oak tree. All I saw was what looked like an explosion of debris (like when a building implodes). After the dust was settled I went over to the tree and it was split down the middle. Spanish moss all over the place. Awesome power.
Re off topic topics: Well, if the forums's slow. . . .(and the Gov certainly likes talkin' about trains. . . .)

Ken- Try the same stunt with ducks... they dive... and stay down a while... then bloop! up comes a head... look around (yep, safe now) then there's the body...

gotta sign off for a while fellers ... AOL is bouncing or checks and it's $22 for every bounce and that means the house payment and todays electric bill are going to be dribbling all the way to the credit union ... it's been fun !

High gas prices ... that's the least of our worries !!

Bryan -- the next Big Boy Burger ... think of me
happy.gif

pulling the plug -------->

About 10 years ago late one night there was a very active thunder storm blowing through. In the photo below, the upper red arrow is where my master bedroom is. Before I built an addition onto the house there was a patio door and a balcony/deck off of the bedroom. The lower red arrow is pointing at a Lombardy poplar that took a direct hit. There was no delay between the flash and the BOOM. With the patio door and no shades drawn it was quite a show. A white pine next to the Lombardy Poplar also died. The ground around the trees was all churned up like someone ran a tiller through it.
18802.jpg

Art, :eek:p

(Message edited by kmcconaughey on May 17, 2004)

We had a lightening bolt strike the power transformer by our house about 2 weeks ago. It sounded like a big firecracker going off when it hit!!! I thought it was cool but my daughters didnt. Firetruck was there soon after to put out the fire out on the pole.

I have givin up on trying to fix the leak on the hydro line on the 149 yesterday. I'm just going to replace both lines and go from there.

I dont' know what concerns me more, the fact that Kraig has a beadroom, or this...

Kraig's house before cubs..
18804.jpg

Kraig's house after cubs..
18805.jpg

Art, you were close, but it's actually more like this. :eek:)
18807.jpg

Back in the early 80's when I was driving over-the-road I drove into a "Scattered Shower" at about the 19 Mile Marker in IL on I-80 (Geneseo Exit for those familiar with I-80, My old hometown) Half mile or so later I drove out of the rain, and then rolled the drivers door window down a mile later. Did I say it was hot & humid? While running down the hill with the lake on the north side of I-80, mile or so before the I-74 "Big X" Lightning struck the CB antenna clamped to the top mirror bracket on the drivers door of My semi tractor. I had my arm resting on the open lower window frame. The elec. jolt turned the fiberglass 4 ft antenna into something akin to a Horse's tail, Blew the co-ax out of the end, fried the CB, blew a couple fuses for the AM/FM/Casette deck & radar detector hooked to the same electrical feed as the CB, but they both still worked. I'd like to say I saw the lightning bolt but I had my eyes closed. I've seen what lightning does to trees, buildings, etc. Nast stuff!

Art, BTW, there was at least one Cub Cadet there when I took that photo. My #1 125, I believe it was parked near where I have the "new shed" arrow pointing.

BTW, that is a neat photo. Did you hire someone to take pictures of your land?

Art -

Sound like you've got one sweet smelling 72, like those Monte Cristos K McC lends ya!

Jeff, no, I took them while riding in a floatplane that belongs to my sister-in-law's former boyfriend. Wish I could get him to take me up again for some more recent photos. I suppose I could ask him.....

Latest posts

Back