• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Archive through May 14, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm just gonna drill out all my carb jets, and build a still!

(I'll bet that Ken's got one right next to his furnace... but his fuel's probably different from mine... :-} )

DK :)

I could run a double A dragster
happy.gif
Don't need no meth with my fuel ! Now go back to sleep ... who pulled yer chain anyway ¿¿ Go change the oil in yer motorsickle ;)

Gotta be the shortest post he ever made ...

Hey Rev -- keep a check on that Dave Kamp feller , I think he's buckin' fer Hydro Harry's title of the longest post ...

Headed to the river to put the boat in and did about a half hour of fishing, no luck so I went and checked out the BNSF on the other side of the river. Put the boat in and took it out with the 169, fella with the new F350 decked out putting his Mariah in didn't really think much of my 169 and flat bottom boat.
18778.jpg

Got some AC installed in the garage, compressor ran on it once and no luck since, but I'm still hopeful that it'll keep the garage cool this summer.
18779.jpg

Hey Wyatt- I know why that air-conditioner stopped working...

That red grille is so cool, that it fooled the thermostat!

Since you're posting waterfront pictures...

Here's one that's exactly 119.5 river miles downstream, looking in the same direction...
...but I don't have to go to the public ramp!

Just noticed that it was the city landing. Last time I was there, they still had heavy equipment in there...

18783.jpg

(Message edited by dkamp on May 15, 2004)

Tom H. Go to gasbuddy.com. You can see the 10 highest, and the 10 lowest gas prices in Il. Just to let you know, the highest are in Schaumburg and Roselle, the lowest are in Naperville and south.

Also was in Burlington Wi. Friday stopped by Otter Equipment. They had a 128 with a PTO for 950.00 if anyone is interested.

Finally got some time to get some cubbin' done this weekend. Finished up the wooden gate-sides for the front of my trailer, then managed to get the 72 operational.

I had tore it apart this winter to fix a bad rear crankshaft seal, and then it sat for two months while I finished up some remodeling projects on the house. Today I put on the new sediment bowl, new head gasket and rebuilt the PTO along with a couple of other minor details. 'Course, once I got it running I thought it had a knock until I realized that the clutch anti-rattle springs were still sitting on the bench, so I had to slide the engine forward (again) to get them in.
swear.gif

Other than a slight smokey flavor, it runs pretty sweet. My 5 year old daughter and I will give it the shakedown run through the neighborhood tomorrow to make sure everything's working.
thumbsup.gif

Paul D-
I'm afraid I have to agree with you. I don't like this price hike, but we've been fortunate that gas hasn't kept up with the cost of everything else the past decade or two. Still, making it up in 3 weeks is tough to swallow.

Wyatt-
"You know you're a redneck when..."
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Hey Guys.
I got a new Cub Hualer last week and finally got some pics. Plus I tested it out yesterday. This #2 cart jumped right in the back and came home with me. I noticed that the IH decal is a newer style than on my other #2 cart. Does anyone else have one with a newer decal?
18785.jpg

18786.jpg

18787.jpg

18788.jpg

Also someone told me yesterday that the oil bath air cleaner on an Original was an "option" early on. I thought they were on all Originals. Can any one conferm that?
Thanks!

Dave, Kraig and Aatay:

It was the ground cable from my battery to frame. Thanks!

A little more help until my manuals arrive from Binder Books next week (as if they will answer all my questions!) ...

In my enthusiasm after fixing the starter problem, I spent a few hours on my Cub 129 mowing, hauling, dragging etc. As I was mowing-up a small hill, my tractor stopped in motion with the engine and PTO running as usual. I don't think that I was really stressing the tractor in any meaningful fashion, but afterall, it's more than 30 years old!

Obviously, there is something wrong with my trans or connections therein. I removed the panel that covers the drive shaft, and it appears that everything is running properly. The throttle seems to be connected correctly and it is functioning properly.

Is there something that I can investigate now, or should I wait for my manuals? My sense is that this might be a pricey fix.

Thanks!

Eric C.,
Have you checked the hydrostatic oil level? It could be that low (which I hope it is not), that when going up the hill, it starved for oil. It sounds like it was working fine until you went up a grade. The oil pick up tube is in the front of the tranny.

Eric C.
A couple of more things to check. You may have sheared off the rear roll pin on the shaft behind the coupler, if the fan is rotating I would check that the shaft into the hydro is turning too.
Also will it move in reverse, if it will it could be the forward check valve. Make sure the pins are up on both check valves.

Guys,
Did IH ever make a vinyl (or fabric) carrying case that attaches to the front of the rear fender and would ride behind the calf of your leg. I can't do the picture thing yet, but it looks like it was made to fit. ..color coordinated and everything-off white with black trim.

Dave, Wes and Richard: Trans fluid seems fine, but I plan to give my 129 trans an overhall per Dave's recommendation (though I would prefer to wait until the cutting season is over).

After further inspection, the drive shaft (and therefore the fan)is not spinning (I assume it should be spinning all the time). The coupling point where the drive shaft enters the engine is spinning, but it does not appear to be "grabbing" the shaft. I don't know if it's because there is too much resistance where the drive shaft enters into the trans, or whether the part that holds the shaft to the "spinning" part on the engine is not working.

The forgive my lack of part knowledge for now -- I hope to become much more accurate when my manuals arrive from Binders.

Thanks!!!

Steve & Kurt,

Thanks for the advice. Right now I'm in Nashville on business, but I'll try these suggestions when I get home. Meanwhile, my son is keeping up the home front and he can't wait for me to get it fixed. Runs fine for the first 20-30 minutes, can't figure out what the heat or time has to do with it!

Eric C.
Sounds like you lost the front dowel pin and it is a solid pin not a roll pin like the back pin. Should be an easy fix.

Eric Colwell,
There is a roll pin that goes in the drive shaft at that point. You need to look at the drive shaft at that point and see if the hole in the drive shaft have enlarged. If the hole is not
enlarged you can drive a new roll pin in.

I see that the pin "collar" has two slotted holes. The problem is, as I rotate the collar by rotating the engine belt, I cannot seem to find a hole in the drive shaft where the pin belongs. I assume that the pin should slide all the way through the shaft?

Eric, sounds like the pin is sheared off. You will have to find the pin and pound the part out of the shaft.

Anyone have a pic. showing the engine to ground strap installed on a 1250 or other QL? I rebuilt an engine for a guy and he's asking where it goes. Thanks, Kenny.

Well, Eric... when they get to the 'broken' stage, they're usually mauled up enough so that they tend not to want to come out. The shaft is soft, the pin is pretty darned hard, and the coupler's hard too. Usually you'll see wear around the shaft, where the rearmost edge of the coupler flange contacts the shaft. I've never liked the arrangement much... and if you search the forum, you'll see photos and explanation of how I resolve it...

Back