• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Archive through December 10, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup, I know the BIG equipment will work, I used to push snow with a CAT 980 (that's a 5.5 cu/yd machine) but were talking driveways and side walks here.

Don't know that this will help Harry and others but this is from the answer as given by the manufacturer Grote:

Q: What do the letters on my light mean?

A: Most of the lamps you purchase today will have lettering on them that doesn’t seem to make any sense. This lettering is the "SAE" identification code. The Society of Automotive Engineers has been committed to improving the effectiveness and safety of your vehicles lighting. They have developed a uniform identification code that is being used by all reputable manufacturers. The code can be found in SAE J759 JUN2001 – Lighting Identification Code.

Here is an example of a code you may see on a light.

SAE = Indicates lamp has been designed to SAE specifications as indicated by the following letter codes.

A = Reflex Reflector, I = Turn signal, S = Stop Lamp, T = Tail lamp. 75 = the year lamp was certified.

DOT Indicates lamp has been tested and conforms to DOT Required Specifications, but does not indicate that the Department of Transportation or NHTSA has approved the lamp.

Please remember that this is a voluntary code and NHTSA only requires codes on headlamps. For a consolidated listing of the codes see the Grote Technical Catalog or contact SAE @ 877-606-7323 or [email protected]

Art,
Now THAT is a great video to watch! Love it! Wish I could sit and watch you blow snow all day with that Cub!! You must have had a blast that day. It must have been very enjoyable in that Sims cab out of the weather and any blowing snow. I'd have to agree with Tom, I am thinking using the blower is far more fun when you have that much snow to work with! We got some snow last night, about an inch and then A LOT of ice rain AGAIN! Dog on Global Warming! Give us some snow, would enjoy a real winter like we used to have!

Jeff - I've seen the reflectors with the name STINSONITE and believe they are original. I think Charlie was implying the replacements are named REFLECTOLITE. Worth looking into a little more.

Larry - thanks for providing the info on the SAE coding. Now it does look like that 75 indicates the year, and it makes this all the more difficult since the 1x8/9 tractors were built in 1972-74, so I don't think a lense with a 75 would be correct for these. We're gonna have to dig deeper here for the correct lenses.

Art, Art, Art - well I broke down and watched your video of that off-topic tractor/thrower. It looks to me like you took the fun out of it. No snow in your face, cozy cab to keep you warm, can't smell the Kohler fumes. That's just to modern for me to run, and probably to complicated. Does throw the snow out there nicely tho.

I've got a QA36A on my 73 and it'll laugh at a mere 4 inches of snowfall! I have no concerns about tackling even 8 inches! And I do have a creeper but rarely use it and when I do it's usually with the transmission in 3rd. I don't understand why 4 inches would slow you down?!?!

Guys-
Thanks for all of the thoughts on the Original/BB-36 combo. I may just give it a shot after getting a chance to re-hash that thrower.

Mike P.
Thanks for your comments on the video. I had fun in the cab, but my wife is the one who got covered in snow getting the shot. I'm a lucky man.
cool.gif

Harry-
Don't worry, it's not too cushy in that cab. You still get the "Eau De Twin Cylinder" coming into the cab, and you really havn't lived until you sit in a metal box along with a 20hp Kohler and a Hydro-Pump. The noise is deafening!

Hydro Harry: When you're done with the tail lights I have another mission for you (if you will accept it).
Starter/generators come with both bushed and bearinged tail shafts (commutator ends). Is there a dividing line? I have to go away for a couple days (but I'll be lurking).
beerchug.gif

happy.gif

Ok guys, I was view # 51 of Arts awesome video and the first to give it a thumbs up "like" and leave a comment. What gives?

Frank - hey don't go away to long. I think the S/G info is already available. I believe Paul Bell has the details, even to the extent of what version goes with which models, and the correct serial number for each. Paul - are you out there?

Art - sounds like your wife is the one that really had the fun. Now, you just gotta get your O and BB36 going.

The GREAT TAIL LIGHT LENS DEBATE (cont.)

Here's a correction to my earlier information and I also wanted to confirm Charlie's numbers

The Tail Light Lenses for the QL are originally REFLECT-O-LITE 378 SAE-P2-A-75. The replacements are BARGMAN 378 SAE-P2-A-75 and the bases are REFLECT-O-LITE SAE-PC-67.
In some of my earlier posts I had identified the lenses as 375 which is not correct.
Now, I'm still researching the last 2 digits of the lens number (75) since this is supposed to indicate the year the lenses were first cleared or established or maybe even approved for use by SAE (not exactly sure which is signifies but it is supposedly at least a year indicator).
Look for more information to follow. I'm still hoping someone out there with a 1x8/9 series unit has what they believe are the original tail light lenses and will provide the name and number information, since the year indicator 75 (1975) is post production of the 1x8/9 series.

Latest posts

Back