• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Archive through December 10, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tail lite info from my herd for what its worth

I believe all but the 169 may be original

both my 1973 -108 and my 74 -129 have reflectors made by Stinsonite
SAE-A-68 DOT
250229.jpg

my 74 -128

only has the base

Reflexto lite 300
SAE-PC-67
250230.jpg

my 74 -149 has base and lenses

(base) Relecto lite 300
SAE-PC-67
250231.jpg

(lense)
Reflecto lite
378 SAE-P2-A-75
250232.jpg

and these came on my 169 and appear to have been on there a long time
Dietz 12-69 (base)
SAE PIPC 68 77-55-6 (lense)
250233.jpg

I need some input...

250249.jpg

If there is anyone here who has any history of using a BB-36 snow-thrower on an Original, could you please chime in? I know it's never going to match a 2-stage, but I'm curious if you could tell me how well/not well it works. I'm just looking at using one as a back-up rig at a secondary location, so it certainly doesn't have to be a do-all machine. I have both the tractor and the blower, I just need to go through the blower to get it "road worthy" and am just wondering if it's worth my time.

Since they have the same basic design as the QA snow-throwers, I'm guessing the usual techniques apply (Keep the chute rust free, lubricate all bearings, etc.) and we all know that an Original wasn't the most ROBUST cub ever built, so I'm not expecting miracles.

Tell us what you know...

More on the Plow vs Blower/thrower,
Now can you guys honestly think a plow would work better in Art's video??
IMHO, E'Nuff said.

TOM - Depends on how BIG and heavy the plow was. Something like Charlie's snow plow, the BIG orange tandem axle one, would have NO problem with 15 inches of snow. And I've pushed 15-18 inches a couple times with my plow, but then it out-weighs a CC by about ten times, and Charlie's out-weighs mine about 4 times.

I know my QA-36 would have plugged up bad with our wet snow yesterday.

Good thing his driveway isn't gravel ( but very impresive)

Tom wait till we get white stuff and I will show some "pushin"

Art,

Regarding the Original and BB-36. I have a little experience using this setup. Personally, I really like it. I have a 62 Original with the BB-36 and it really works well. Mine is nothing special, the chute has little/no paint on it, I haven't adjusted anything since I bought it last fall. It seems to run faster than my QA-36B blower on the 169 (could have a smaller driven pulley), therefore it throws snow pretty far for a 7hp. I have a creeper, so it makes it a little more user friendly. Pretty much the exact same setup as the CW 36. Didn't have much snow last year so no action shots, but here's a pic of it.

250263.jpg

250264.jpg

250265.jpg

Of course, it also helps with chains weights, etc. which I know you know. This particular tractor was from the second owner, and came with cab, weights, chains, fenders, creeper, 3pt, blower, blade, york rake, lawn roller, deck, and lots of parts.

So overall, I would say use it! (from my little bit of experience)

Home of the Plow Special
Art ; it will work by not as slick as a 450. But i think you know that.

Ryan McShane

I you start the tractor and run up the rpm`s to warn it up . I think you will be supprised at what it WILL DO !

Don T.- I wish I had more snow last year and I definitely would have put it to the test! I think it will be a great setup if we get some snow. The cab needs attention with the zipper, hoping to get that fixed soon. If I can keep all the crazy buyers off it I may get a chance to use it
roflol.gif

Ryan McShane

Zippers love soap ! if you have never tested it when it was able to do what it was designed to do ( work)Then you will never know. I bet IH`s first tractor the Original was better than what we could get then and , dang it still is!I would tune that and have a ball .

Don- thanks for the zipper idea. Unfortunately I need to take the cab off and re sew a new zipper on. I had my cousin look at it (he's an upholstery man) and he thinks he can sew a new one on and make it look good. Next thing would be to fix the windshield and clean the dang windows!

RYAN - I ran my #72 with the QA-36 on it for a couple years when it still had the K181 8 HP engine. 4 inches of snow was about all the more it would handle taking a 36 inch bite. To handle deeper snow I'd take less than a full bite. When I put the rebuilt K241 in it I could handle a full bite of 6 inch deep snow.

I didn't have a creeper gear so the first pass in deep snow was pretty slow.

Dennis- That is understandable. The one time I got to use my setup we had a drifted 2 or so inches of snow, so it was very uneven in depth. All in all it was not a very good test. I think with the creeper gear it will help me do the 4 inch snows or so.

Five years ago when I first bought the QA-36B, I installed it on the 107. It's a pretty tired old 107...Ive put a few thousand hours on it just mowing. That first year we got quite a bit of snow. It came down in about 10 inches at a time, and seemed like every weekend for a few months we would get a storm. Like Dennis said, the first cut was the hardest on that 107...I creeped along with the hydro. After that I would take half-cuts, going a little faster. Eventually it got to the point where the loader tractor would need to come in and push us out because the blower just didn't have the power to throw it far enough away from the drive.

I really like the Original setup, but it's definitely not my main user. This year I put the QA-36B on one of the freshly overhauled 169's, and have a secondary setup with the also freshly overhauled 147 and CW-36. Plus the 102 has a blade and the 1650 also has a blade on it, so between 5 machines I ought to get some sort of snow thrown/pushed.

Jeff - thanks for providing the info on the lens ID markings and for posting the pics. Looks like the last two digits '75 must not indicate the year. I'll post some info if I can nail down more details. I think the numbers may be some type of SAE coding.

Ryan - I think the BB36 gear box may have different ratio gears than a QA36, or maybe a larger auger sprocket (or maybe it's smaller that makes it spin faster - I get confused on ratio changes as you follow the path from the PTO clutch, to the gear box pulley, to the gear box gears, to the chain sprocket to the auger sprocket).

Harry- Im not sure on the ratio either. I have noticed that the two older blowers ( BB-36 and the CW 36 ) spin quite faster than the QA-36. This would make sense due to the fact that they are pretty similar in design minus the mounting brackets.

In the end, I really hope we get a nice dry snowfall at home over my winter break. All this talk about snow moving equipment makes me excited to try the Cub out (especially the 169...
bouncy.gif
)

Kraig - Oh Great One Keeper of the Photos, and Joseph S - thanks for providing the pics of what appear to be original QL tail light lens and mounting. I can actually see the REFLECT-O-LITE name and numbers. Pretty well comfirms Bargman are the replacements, especially since Marlin found info that Bargman bought Reflectolite. Now, if I could just get to the bottom of the SAE numbering it could resolve the question for the 1x8/9 series.

Joseph - what's going on with your 1650?

Kraig, thanks for posting the photos as always.
Harry, I jus picked up the 1650 a week ago. It runs pretty good but the rest of it has been pretty ill-maintained. In the photo I have the fenders removed as I had toswap the entire hydro linkage system with one that I had laying around. Between being worn out and po mods it was messed up to say the least. Its a work in progress, but it will get there. Don't plan on a full resto, at least at this point, just refurb.

Was out blowing the 10 inches that we received yesterday. Beautiful day and the snow was perfect for blowing. It was great using the blower again. I ended up doing 4 driveways. Love it.
Earl LaMott
Burnsville, MN

Harry I believe the base's on my 128 and 149 are original and as I posted read
Relecto lite 300
SAE-PC-67

Just like Josephs,

I also read in my book that the 1x6,7 tail lites where sourced from reflecto-lite

But what about the reflectors reading stinsonite

Latest posts

Back