• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Replace PTO pulley with aux hydro-pump

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonrick

displayname
linuxfarmguy
This might sound ridiculous, but would it be at all in the realm of possibilities to directly mate an auxiliary hydraulic pump to the magnetic PTO on a 1450? More specifically, remove the belt pulley and replace it with a hydro-pump (1:1)?

This might sound ridiculous, but would it be at all in the realm of possibilities to directly mate an auxiliary hydraulic pump to the magnetic PTO on a 1450? More specifically, remove the belt pulley and replace it with a hydro-pump (1:1)?
Personally I wouldn't. Just add the pump below the PTO so you'll have a way to disconnect things if you need to.
1700680256952.png

Personally I wouldn't. Just add the pump below the PTO so you'll have a way to disconnect things if you need to.
Thanks for posting the image! That helps me a lot in visualizing how other have done aux pumps. Did that require any cutting or 'modifying' beyond adding mounting hardware?

For what purpose are you using an auxiliary hydraulic pump?
I was thinking that I could give myself sort of a universal PTO. Specifically I was looking to possibly run a log splitter. But I figured I could drive other equipment just by utilizing a hydraulic motor. I have the impeller and housing from an old leaf vac that I was thinking could be powered by a hydro motor.

I realize this is very likely not the most practical approach, just was thinking it would allow me to get more use out of the tractor and would make for an interesting project.

Or you could do like this guy did. Jump to the 16 minute mark to get to the basic outline of what he is doing. You might have to fast forward to get to the meat of the installation.

Or you could do like this guy did. Jump to the 16 minute mark to get to the basic outline of what he is doing. You might have to fast forward to get to the meat of the installation.

Interesting! I didn't realize that the hydrostatic drive had a straight-through shaft like that. I wish they still built equipment with this kind of flexibility.

My only concern would be the volume of hydraulic fluid in the transaxle. I suppose nothing is stopping you from using a separate reservoir with this setup though. The one thing that makes the PTO option attractive (in my opinion) is that you can disengage a component that would otherwise unnecessarily increase mechanical loss when not in use. For example, when I'm towing my ground-drive spreader full of cow manure, the tractor is working pretty hard on the hills to keep it moving at an adequate speed. It'd be nice to be able to shut off the auxiliary pump in that case.

I did something like that with my 682 loader tractor. I made a separate reservoir as I didn't care to have it be shared with the transaxle. The fenders have to be raised an inch to allow a shaft out the back of the hydro unit to pass under the battery box.

IMG_20190915_120138.jpg

IMG_20191104_053121.jpg

A starter/generator (or even possibly the K-series with conventional starter in a 1x00/50) would really struggle to start a setup like this on a cold day. The engine in this tractor (Kohler Command 15 hp) has a very large, powerful starter, and it still needs a heater on the tank for the loader hydraulics so it spins over nicely in the cold.

Back