• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Overhauling my Cub Cadet 72

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It will only jump about an inch, it's not like it will launch itself through the wall!!
All I ever use is a vise with a couple blocks of wood to protect the shaft from the jaws and allow it to slide a bit when hit with a brass drift and a BFH.
Clamp the end of the shaft between the blocks, and using a brass drift to protect the end of the shaft from "mushrooming", smack it a good one.
You only need to move it enough to drive out the Spirol pins.
Once the pin is out, SLOWLY loosen the vise a bit and hold the end of the shaft, the shaft will slide right out.
Re assemble in the same manner using a new Spirol pin.
If you can't find a pin locally, drop me an SASE w/a buck and I'll send you a new one or two.

I made one of those "special" tools, used it once and it's been hanging on the wall ever since, more trouble than it's worth.

oh no, lots of ways to stop the hunt the thimble jumpy spring thing, just use your imagination, I recall opening my desk vise enough to allow a sliding fit on the shaft, pressed down the spring enough to free the pin and then with care release the vise slowly with control. Woodworking clamps, a binding wire harness, depress spring and get a hose clamp tight on the shaft, just think it like a Cub Cadet farm engineer would have put it together, and have fun.

did i mention that plasters on knuckles is a bonus and talking point if not a Badge of Honour, I got it apart now gotto get back together (.....and Digger has assembled new ones as backstop)

Not sure which implement handle. If easy to remove run the rust through wire brushing/sanding, follow with POR15, any color OR brush/sand the nasty bits off and coat handle in Axalth 5717s, keeping wet for 20-30 mins, coat with any paint. The Axalth is pricey.

Cheers, Jack

Latest posts

Back