• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Do you know any Idioms ? Of course you do !

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
beerchug.gif

Dammit, Allen, you caused idioms to run through my head!
Some of them I know but can't give explanations to off the top of my head. One of which is "can't see the forest for the trees". Does that mean that someone is looking so hard at individual trees that he can't see the overall forest?
"Nigger in the woodpile". I know it means something that doesn't belong where it is, but where did that phrase come from?
"High as a kite". I tend to associate that one with drinking an excess of alcohol but I guess marijuana smokers might have a different definition.
"Like a Rhinestone Cowboy". God bless you, Glenn Campbell!!
happy.gif

Oh I know this one, LOL
The word pissant, or piss-ant came from back in the day of the knights of the round table time. It pretty much means any tiny little ant that bugs you.

Orrrr, someone that in your eyes is a scum sucking dog, LOL

not really idioms but these seem true

1. Law of Mechanical Repair - After your hands become coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee.
2. Law of Gravity - Any tool, nut, bolt, screw, when dropped, will roll to the least accessible corner.
3. Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.
4. Variation Law - If you change lines (or traffic lanes), the one you were in will always move faster than the one you are in now.

Tom- Charlie nailed it right on the head, LOL.

First time I heard that I about fell on the floor!

Frank, many years ago I worked with some older men that used the term Nigger in a woodpile for a situation that seemed suspicious or out of place. Curious about its actual origin, I found this as an explanation

Allen-

That's an interesting website although with only so much popularity. I can't believe they offer the mugs and T-shirts.

I've always heard that saying when there is something suspicious going on or all of the facts simply weren't on the table.

I don't believe the one about it being the cause of mixed race. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me...but maybe that's just me.

That's about as useful as a creeper on a Hydro...
biggrin.gif

Paul,
Red Green says different...

"If it ain't broke, You're not tryin'"
biggrin.gif

Obviously a super steer upgrade idiom...

It'll turn on a dime, and give you 9 cents back....

A fellow told me today that he thought it was:

"Hotter than a cucumber sale in a women's prison"

(Note: If you need help understanding the analogy, please ask a friend, don't post your question here.
happy.gif
)

"Can't afford the tax on a free lunch" <font size="-2">(Now-a-days that's true!)</font>

Latest posts

Back