• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Archive through February 07, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Richard W the problem with belts loosening is common. Many guys will drill a hole and bolt or wire the adjusting handle in place.

Belts will strech and once they slip the get hot and can strech or break internal bands.

You must make sure you have the correct belt and pully size on the thrower.

Yep,,Just another snow work day for the IH cub 129

amazing how much snow it can push and pile up

220968.jpg

220969.jpg

220970.jpg

Jeff,
Thanks for the info.

I have just finished doing a complete rebuild of the thrower including new bearings, painting the housing and chute with slip plate and installing the smaller pulley.

After the previous belt broke, I did a variation of the belt adjuster lock by using some small eye bolts and a zip tie (sorry, pic is on the camera at home).

So what I should do is adjust the belt up as snug as I can and lock the adjuster in place. I thought I might have over tightened the previous belt.

On a side note, I now have both a thrower and a power angle plow (on 1450’s) to use, especially this winter. They are sitting beside each other in the shed.

Thanks, Rich

Kraig-

I was just wondering if the generator was your only charging system. You didn't mention solar or wind. Have you ever considered a wind powered alternator? There was a guy on YouTube that gave instructions on how to build one using a readily available GM alternator, I forget the model number.

To stay on topic I'm getting ready to pull more wood from the woods (a good place to find it) with the ole 108/128. I've found 4 dead trees I didn't know about still standing and that little tractor and me have gotten down to about 3 loads left. It's lonely work since my last dog died last Feb. My cats aren't like Marlins Fancy and they won't be seen if a tractor or anything is running.

Richard W ,the QA42 manual states tighten V belt to no slack then 3-3.5 turns on the adjuster for proper adjustment. (Manual section/Topics has much info.)

Wayne, presently we only have the gas powered generator as a charging source. This spring I am planning on adding a solar panel setup that would be a separate system for powering security cameras. I have 4 BIG 12 volt JD Strongbox batteries that we used to have in the cabin battery bank that were getting a bit tired that will be used in the security system. I already have a 750 watt inverter for it. I would like to add a wind generator as well for one or the other systems. Back in the late 60's and 70's there was a guy that my dad always took his vehicles to for service. This guy had been in the army as a mechanic. He had built a wind power setup using a propeller and an alternator to charge batteries. He also built a passive solar heater on the south side of his workshop. This was way ahead of the solar fad in the late 1970's.

Richard, are you using a Cub Cadet belt? I've been using the same belt on my QA42 for decades.

Richard, at a minimum you will want a Gates Green belt. You do not want to use any old hardware store belt.

Ok now I have 82 pounds with the center "homemade" weight and 25 on each side for 132 plus my 230 for a total of 362

220979.jpg

does that sound good for weight on a snow pusher

Jeff Baker,

That is a bit less that I have on my snow pusher (this is without any additional weight on the tractor) and it does fine. You will find even with the additional weight you will still slip, and if you are conserned about the appearance of your drive (if it is paved) the chains can scratch the pavement. We had a lot of ice here, and I scratched up the concrete, but I am not conserned with the scratches, I want the drive clear. This is with my 1450, the tiller mount still on the back of the tractor, the tiller is removed, 4-link chains and a 42" blade.

Back