• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Adding PTO to 71 Help

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,

I recently got a whole PTO assembly out of a yellow Farmall Cub for $100. I got the whole assembly, including the shift lever and cross shaft.

I took my 71 gearbox rear cover off only to discover that the internal shaft that is supposed to have the splines to drive the PTO doesn't have any splines at all!!

See attached photo. What gives? I thought the Farmall Cub and the Cub Cadet shared the same transaxle?

Any help appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

• 20240907_151015.jpg
    20240907_151015.jpg
    948.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240907_151059.jpg
    20240907_151059.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
You will need a Cub Cadet-specific top shaft with the splined end for the rear PTO.

The transaxle housing and differential are the same. Various internal parts such as the top shaft of the trans are not shared with the F cub. Hence, you cannot just put a PTO from a Cub in Cub Cadet without changing additional parts.

You will need a Cub Cadet-specific top shaft with the splined end for the rear PTO.

The transaxle housing and differential are the same. Various internal parts such as the top shaft of the trans are not shared with the F cub. Hence, you cannot just put a PTO from a Cub in Cub Cadet without changing additional parts.
What is the difference between the top shaft for the Farmall Cub and the top shaft for the Cub Cadet?

Seems then that the hard part to find isn't the PTO assembly per se, but the top shaft that is special for the CC, and presumably only came on tractors factory equipped with a rear PTO.

IIRC the Cub top shaft is much longer. I vaguely recall someone posting here years ago about modifying one to work in a Cub Cadet.

You are correct in that the PTO top shaft for the Cub Cadet was only used in tractors so equipped.

Back