• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

1450 spreading 400 lbs of manure

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonrick

displayname
linuxfarmguy
Thought you guys might enjoy a few picture of a 1450 at work:

20240625_114653(1).jpg

20240625_120453.jpg

spreader_first_run.jpeg
Screenshot from 2024-06-25 17-35-43.png

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2024-06-25 17-29-51.png
    Screenshot from 2024-06-25 17-29-51.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
I came back to look at your pics again. You do have a nice 1450 there that's probably having another double digit birthday soon, but it looks like it's only 6 or 7. Nice maintenance.
One thing I did wonder about. How do you know it's 400# of manure?

I came back to look at your pics again. You do have a nice 1450 there that's probably having another double digit birthday soon, but it looks like it's only 6 or 7. Nice maintenance.
One thing I did wonder about. How do you know it's 400# of manure?
Thanks! The weight is a rough estimate. I have a trailer that has similar volume to the spreader. We weighed it full of cow manure to get an idea of how robust we needed to build a dump ramp. The spreader has roughly the same amount and type of manure in it. Empty wight of the spreader is 408 lbs so cub is pulling probably around 800 lbs.

Thanks! The weight is a rough estimate. I have a trailer that has similar volume to the spreader. We weighed it full of cow manure to get an idea of how robust we needed to build a dump ramp. The spreader has roughly the same amount and type of manure in it. Empty wight of the spreader is 408 lbs so cub is pulling probably around 800 lbs.
Dang, 800# . Now that's a lot on the drawbar.
Interesting the spreader gets the ag tires but the tractor gets turf.

Dang, 800# . Now that's a lot on the drawbar.
Interesting the spreader gets the ag tires but the tractor gets turf.
The spreader came with the ag tires. I need to replace the turf tires on the tractor with ag tires at some point. I got the tractor about a year ago and have been slowly fixing a lot of rather jerry-rigged repairs the previous owner did. The spreaders weight is actually more concentrated at the rear (since it's a ground drive) so the tongue weight isn't as bad as one might think. Probably 200 lbs when fully loaded (at most) since the beaters, drive mechanisms and a traction wight sit behind the rear wheels.

Last edited:
The spreader came with the ag tires. I need to replace the turf tires on the tractor with ag tires at some point. I got the tractor about a year ago and have been slowly fixing a lot of rather jerry-rigged repairs the previous owner did. The spreaders weight is actually more concentrated at the rear (since it's a ground drive) so the tongue weight isn't as bad as one might think. Probably 200 lbs when fully loaded (at most) since the beaters, drive mechanisms and a traction wight sit behind the rear wheels.
Yah, I get that looking at it. Almost like when it's empty it could really lift your tractor because of the weight at the rear. I'd be a little more comfortable if you had some rear weights on the tractor to hold it down.
Sorry about the jury-rigged tractor repairs, but I realize sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do to keep things going - and then ya forget to go back and fix things up. Don't be to hard on the PO. At least he sold you the tractor which is a good thing. :)

Yah, I get that looking at it. Almost like when it's empty it could really lift your tractor because of the weight at the rear. I'd be a little more comfortable if you had some rear weights on the tractor to hold it down.
Sorry about the jury-rigged tractor repairs, but I realize sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do to keep things going - and then ya forget to go back and fix things up. Don't be to hard on the PO. At least he sold you the tractor which is a good thing. :)
I definitely could use some wheel weights. I've been keeping my eye out but unfortunately my area was supposedly primarily wheel horse dealers so CC stuff is a bit scarce locally.

I definitely could use some wheel weights. I've been keeping my eye out but unfortunately my area was supposedly primarily wheel horse dealers so CC stuff is a bit scarce locally.
Well, they don't have to be IH. Weights is weight. Some is better than none. Don't know what the red horse did back in the day. The JD stuff paints up real nice in IH colors, and A/C Simplicity makes a nice smooth fit. Why heck, even Sears had some cast iron that doesn't look bad.

I’ll be doing the same in about another month or so, once the oats in the field next door is harvested. I use either my 122 or 1450. I’ve used turf tires in the past but they do tend to slip with a full load on a hilly field with wet grass. I’ll be switching to ags for the next round of spreading.

Attachments

• IMG_0509.jpeg
    IMG_0509.jpeg
    5.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0479.jpeg
    IMG_0479.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
I’ll be doing the same in about another month or so, once the oats in the field next door is harvested. I use either my 122 or 1450. I’ve used turf tires in the past but they do tend to slip with a full load on a hilly field with wet grass. I’ll be switching to ags for the next round of spreading.
I noticed you have a board in one of the pictures in front of the beaters. Is that to help you get more into the spreader?

I noticed you have a board in one of the pictures in front of the beaters. Is that to help you get more into the spreader?
The plywood helps keep the manure in the spreader until I’m in the field. I’m planning to make a mounted one on arms that I can flip forward. Will help keep the operator from manure and rock projectiles.

Why not use the wheels on the trailer, look like 8.50's, perfect in dirt. Look at any Farmall.
Jack

Latest posts

Back