• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

122 Trans question

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Correct. It's a sealing varnish for motor windings. But, it also works good inside gearboxes and the lifter valleys of engine blocks to shed oil back to the sump area quickly. It's usually chemical proof though. We have a multi-purpose solvent at work I want to use. There's one parts website that sells the gasket cheap.

I vaguely remember coating the lifter valley in SBC's to help drain oil to the pan faster. Thanks for the reminder.

Get some kerosene and spend some quality time and elbow grease cleaning up the mess you described. Hy Tran and a recommended filter,store out of the elements and it will be good for a decent amount of time

Good Morning, I was poking around my machine last night (1965 122) and decided to check the trans oil/fluid at the fill plug in the rear. I was greeted with a waterfall of white, foamy crap. Yup....safe to say it's been stored outside forever and the trans is full of water. I'm guessing water got in to the breather hole up by the creeper lever. Anyway, I'm gonna ask it....THE question that rattles everyone......do I NEED Hytran fluid to flush and fill this unit or is there an "equivalent" until I can find where to get the Hytran? There...I said it :D TIA for any help.
Well, what ever you end up using remember your Gear Drive tranny holds 7 pts (3 and 1/2 qts). The hydro drives hold 14 pts (7 qts).

Good Morning, I was poking around my machine last night (1965 122) and decided to check the trans oil/fluid at the fill plug in the rear. I was greeted with a waterfall of white, foamy crap. Yup....safe to say it's been stored outside forever and the trans is full of water. I'm guessing water got in to the breather hole up by the creeper lever. Anyway, I'm gonna ask it....THE question that rattles everyone......do I NEED Hytran fluid to flush and fill this unit or is there an "equivalent" until I can find where to get the Hytran? There...I said it :D TIA for any help.
One more thing Jerry that I should have mentioned. You thought the "water got in to the breather hole up by the creeper lever". That ain't the way. The Creeper is basically a sealed unit lubricated with it's own fluid. The water or moisture in your rearend is most likely 20+(or 30 or 40) years of accumulation. As others have said, make sure you remove that rear cover and clean that baby up. Then re-install the cover with a new gasket, and add 7 pts (3 and 1/2qts) of HyTran. This stuff meets IH Spec B-6 so it absorbs moisture.

One more thing Jerry that I should have mentioned. You thought the "water got in to the breather hole up by the creeper lever". That ain't the way. The Creeper is basically a sealed unit lubricated with it's own fluid. The water or moisture in your rearend is most likely 20+(or 30 or 40) years of accumulation. As others have said, make sure you remove that rear cover and clean that baby up. Then re-install the cover with a new gasket, and add 7 pts (3 and 1/2qts) of HyTran. This stuff meets IH Spec B-6 so it absorbs moisture.
I did pull the cover and order a gasket. There was literal mud in the bottom, and also in the troughs above the main diff bearings. Cleaned it all out and stuffed the bottom with paper towel while I wait for parts. I think it was submerged at some point...I drained THIRTEEN quarts of slop out of there. The gears appear to be fine with no chunks removed or bad wear. She will be back to normal by this weekend :D I appreciate everyones help and advice.

Sounds to me like that unit may have been underwater at some point.
LOTS of that going around here lately, Especially here in IA. SD, NE area and around Spencer Iowa where RPRU was held this past week.
What a freaking mess, most of the motels are on the south side of town from where the fairgrounds are located.
And the river through town flooded Friday night stranding all those folks when the motels flooded.
For a while there was NO WAY in or out of town till Sunday morning!
There are 4 major streams merging together in and around Spencer is what is causing all these issues.
Fortunately, the fairgrounds on the far north west side of town where RPRU was being held was high and dry all through this.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back