• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

SURE! Make me go out and wash my CC-108....

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RayF

displayname
Baker6x6
This is my 1973 Cub Cadet 108 -purchased from the son of the original owner- in 1996. It was worn and tired, smoked, and the deck needed work. But it cut my yard beautifully.

108-AsPurchased-1996.jpg

I worked on it alot from year-to-year... replacing spindles, pulleys, belts, and having the motor rebuilt in 2000. I painted a few things, just as a rust-preventative. The motor "let go" around 2010- when the camshaft "broke". The tractor sat under our deck until 2020... as I was given a 1996 Cub 1430, and later a 2004 RZT-50. that I used in the interim. Neither of them cut my yard as nice as the 108. Though.... I could cut my yard in 8-minutes with the RZT.

I decided to "re"-rebuild the 108 in 2020..
I rebuilt the original Kohler K241 10HP myself.
New piston/rings/rod .020, Used crankshaft, Crank Bearings, Cheap Carburetor (I modified it), Governor, Points, Condenser, Coil, Spark Plug, etc...
I had many parts zinc-electroplated.
DSC07486.JPG

The Tractor was re-painted with some automotive Urethane that I custom-mixed to match, from paint left-overs at my shop.
Decals were purchased from CC Specialties.
Most easily removable parts were sandblasted, epoxy-primed, and refinished.
I purchased a new Seat and all new tires as well.

DSC_0018.jpg

I fabricated the custom hitch many years ago, but just recently replaced the sleeve hitch and lift arm, with an electric Linear Actuator.
It's controlled by the switch on the dash. I use the pin with my garden cart, and have a trailer ball for moving my trailers and boat around.
I plan on adding a receiver for the trailer ball... to ease the exchange.

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

The deck was rebuilt many years ago as well... so when I went through it again... it simply needed a new belt, one Idler-pulley, a good cleaning, and a repaint.

DSC_0022.jpg

I added headlights by fabricating a replacement headlight panel- and adding LED Motorcycle driving lights.
They are bright enough to light up the neighborhood...

DSC_0023.jpg

Attachments

• DSC07487.JPG
    DSC07487.JPG
    148.6 KB · Views: 111
  • DSC07488.JPG
    DSC07488.JPG
    148.9 KB · Views: 120
  • DSC_0020.jpg
    DSC_0020.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 116
Bob
Beautiful work. Great storyline. That history always makes us feel more connected to what we are doing with our projects. I hope that brings back memories to the son of the owner.
This was my Dad's; he bought it in June 0f 1971. Cleaned it up 2 years ago.

Attachments

• 20201127_145622.jpg
    20201127_145622.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 116
Ray, could you please send info on rear lift? I've been looking for something similar..
PM me... what do you want to know?
I had an entire writeup on the build.... but gave up my website a few years ago. I still have all the pages and images.
I could upload to dropbox or similar, and let you download it.

Ray - that's a nice story and a great job on your tractor. The problem I always had after I did that type of work was the tractor looked to nice to use.

This is my 1973 Cub Cadet 108 -purchased from the son of the original owner- in 1996. It was worn and tired, smoked, and the deck needed work. But it cut my yard beautifully.

View attachment 144755
I worked on it alot from year-to-year... replacing spindles, pulleys, belts, and having the motor rebuilt in 2000. I painted a few things, just as a rust-preventative. The motor "let go" around 2010- when the camshaft "broke". The tractor sat under our deck until 2020... as I was given a 1996 Cub 1430, and later a 2004 RZT-50. that I used in the interim. Neither of them cut my yard as nice as the 108. Though.... I could cut my yard in 8-minutes with the RZT.

I decided to "re"-rebuild the 108 in 2020..
I rebuilt the original Kohler K241 10HP myself.
New piston/rings/rod .020, Used crankshaft, Crank Bearings, Cheap Carburetor (I modified it), Governor, Points, Condenser, Coil, Spark Plug, etc...
I had many parts zinc-electroplated.
View attachment 144756

The Tractor was re-painted with some automotive Urethane that I custom-mixed to match, from paint left-overs at my shop.
Decals were purchased from CC Specialties.
Most easily removable parts were sandblasted, epoxy-primed, and refinished.
I purchased a new Seat and all new tires as well.

View attachment 144759

I fabricated the custom hitch many years ago, but just recently replaced the sleeve hitch and lift arm, with an electric Linear Actuator.
It's controlled by the switch on the dash. I use the pin with my garden cart, and have a trailer ball for moving my trailers and boat around.
I plan on adding a receiver for the trailer ball... to ease the exchange.

View attachment 144760

View attachment 144762
The deck was rebuilt many years ago as well... so when I went through it again... it simply needed a new belt, one Idler-pulley, a good cleaning, and a repaint.

View attachment 144763
I added headlights by fabricating a replacement headlight panel- and adding LED Motorcycle driving lights.
They are bright enough to light up the neighborhood...

View attachment 144764
That is one sweet looking Cub!

Latest posts

Back