• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Swapped in used k321

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gcamille

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Gary Camille
I bought a used k321 several year back, from I believe to be a good source. Just now getting it in. Pulled the head and cleaned carbon. Sanded head flat. Checked valve adjustable (good). New carb, points, coil and plug and wire. Adjust governor arm. Runs at low speed, doesn't throttle up very well. I'm at a loss at this point. Could something be wrong with the internal part of the governor, or something else.
I attached a video of me slowly bringing up the throttle. Near the end I do see gasoline spitting out of the throat of the carb, like some back pressure. 🤷‍♂️

https://photos.app.goo.gl/59LLR7kmZTSdBNfJA

How did you set the ignition timing? Sounds like it is too far advanced if it is spitting out the carb and the valve lash is ok. Use this procedure to set the timing:

http://mgonitzke.net/cubcadet/tools/static_timing.pdf
The flywheel had no marks on it. I wire brushed it and lightly sprayed pb blaster and wire brushed again. No markings. So when I had the head off I found TDC and made my own mark. Had to calculate 20° advanced. Then I also tried the way of the link you sent. I will try it again to your suggestion. I could have messed it up. I wouldn't get back to it for a few days at this point.
Thank you.
I'll send an update

The marks are there...note that there are a couple different possible locations depending on where the sight hole is. Also possible someone has mixed and matched parts and the sight hole is not in the same place as the marks.

I agree with Matt,you really have to chase those marks down,center punch and paint,confirm their position,tdc and thru the sight hole.Mine were also very hard to see ,the punch,dremel the line a bit,some different colors and a diagram of my work for next time

I bought a used k321 several year back, from I believe to be a good source. Just now getting it in. Pulled the head and cleaned carbon. Sanded head flat. Checked valve adjustable (good). New carb, points, coil and plug and wire. Adjust governor arm. Runs at low speed, doesn't throttle up very well. I'm at a loss at this point. Could something be wrong with the internal part of the governor, or something else.
I attached a video of me slowly bringing up the throttle. Near the end I do see gasoline spitting out of the throat of the carb, like some back pressure. 🤷‍♂️

https://photos.app.goo.gl/59LLR7kmZTSdBNfJA
I would set poi ts to 18 thou. and call it good, sounds like carb problem to me, did you try adjusting it? , is it after market? Good Luck

I found the marks final. I've have always had the 12hp and marks are on the outer edge. This one is a 14hp and I found the sight hole facing the front. About a quarter covered by the starter/gen bracket, why I didn't see it. Got it to open right on the mark. And it left the gap at .018. Runs much better, but still having trouble with higher RPMs. I won't get to play with it again till late Sunday.

I've been hearing about how condensers are junk these days. I removed the near new condenser and replaced with an old one I had. It ran much better, but stumbles poorly at high throttle under load. At least it ran well enough to adjust the carburetor finally. Little by little I keep getting closer. But I stumped again as to what next to look at. I ordered a new Kohler condenser. The old condenser being better than the newer one, but could the old one still not be at 100% ??

I've been hearing about how condensers are junk these days. I removed the near new condenser and replaced with an old one I had. It ran much better, but stumbles poorly at high throttle under load. At least it ran well enough to adjust the carburetor finally. Little by little I keep getting closer. But I stumped again as to what next to look at. I ordered a new Kohler condenser. The old condenser being better than the newer one, but could the old one still not be at 100% ??
Make sure the case od the condenser is grounded nicely. If there's paint under the mounting strap or the strap doesn't grab tight on the condenser, you may have issues.

Back