• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Tandems

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All this big meat! I just as well post some pics of the one that just might have a parkin spot in the back shed pretty soon.
114679.jpg

114680.jpg

114681.jpg

114683.jpg

KRAIG - It's a 43??...can't quite make out the last two numbers but if I had to guess it's 4366. With some liberties taken on the repaint.

CHARLIE - You do know that tractor was built in North Daa-Koo-Taa. Parts were built other places, frt & rear ends @ FARMALL and engine @ Melrose Pk, IL.
Do You really think You need something THAT big to push snow?
lol.gif

Denny,
I don't have the answer to why the 82 series are red, unless someone had an idea as to what was comming down the road and it had to do with the forth comming sale of the CC line and IH wanted red CC's for IH dealers to sell. Thats just a guess, I have not seen any Tractor Committee Reports that discuss it, and the latest paint decisions that are posted on the IH archives are several years before the 82 series. After thinking about it, since the styling was changed to make the CC look more like the bigger tractors of the time, the red color was just to help with that look and tie them in with the big ones. Again, just a guess.

The yellow 4300 belongs to Jerry Metz, an Iowa dealer and collector, I believe, and on the right front it says "Before I grew Up" and the left says "I was a Cub Cadet"

Paul B: The info that I have heard from an old IH executive is that the the Cub & Cub Cadet switch to red was an Archie McCardell-ism. Apparently it was he that decreed that all IH tractors would be red when he assumed the presidency of IH....and so they were...No committee reports because it was an executive decision.

Myron B

Well, One thing that IH held pretty close to the "rules" on was the numbering of the new red CC's. All the big FARMALL's were 6-cyl. and model numbers ended in 86, Utilities were 4-cyl. & ended in 84. There was one three cyl. tractor, 484 !?! And all the CC's were 2-cyl. so ended in 82 except for the 11 HP B&S 482. And all the K301-powered 1282's were MTD built as were the 782-D's.

Back in the summer of '81 when I was trying to buy Dad a new K241 or K301 thru IH I talked to someone at LVL to get a contact @ Kohler. The red tractors had just started being built. I remember that person saying, "They just don't look right painted red..." Anyhow, By Sept. '81 I was able to drive to Sheboygan and pick-up a complete brand new painted K241 assembled in Kohler's test lab for $300. They told Me "Take it apart before You buy rebuild parts, It may not really be a 241.." meaning it might have been a short-stroke 301 or ?!?!?!.

Oh....and I got an e-mail last night. IH did build 4186's even though none of My books show them, started in spring/summer of '76 and stopped sometime in '78, just over 400 total built. I started @ Farmall in Oct' 76 just after they switched them from 4166's to 4186's and was laid-off in fall of '77, didn't get back till Jan. 3, 1979 and I knew the 4186 was gone by then. It looks just like the pic. Ryan Mull took @ RPRU in Pennfield 2002 Kraig posted.

Myron
Given some of the other things McCardell did, your reason for the red 82's is a lot more plausible than the two guesses I had.

Dennis F. The hubs for the four wheel IH tractors were drilled and tapped for the rim holes at a now defunct factory called Rohner Machine in West Liberty, Iowa. (That was my first true factory job. I was twenty-six at the time.) They weighed in the neighborhood of 150 to 175# each. I remember setting up the drill to first dtill the holes and then reset for tapping. We had a hoist to lift them on and off the drill only one night a couple of us got a wild hair idea to see how many we could drill in one ten hour shift. So, I literally lifted each one on and off by hand. Stupidest thing I'd ever done.... That set a precedence to do that every time. I can't remember the total I could do so let's just say that I was young and very dumb.

Another night at that same machine shop the owner's son was holding a TA clutch carrier in his hand and waiting in the parking lot. When a certain employee arrived the son waited until he got out of his car. He then walked up to the guy and asked him if he knew what that piece he was holding. The young man replied, "Sure thing. That is an IH TA clutch carrier." The owner's son literally slammed the piece on the parking and screamed, "Like H*** it is. This is JUNK!!! We make $14.+ on each one of these. You ran one hundred of these .020 out of spec. So you ran over $1400.00 worth of scrap last night. IH wanted these first thing this morning and we couldn't deliver. Now get your *** in there and don't let it happen again." It turned out that a day shift person had set the machine up wrong and informed the second shift guy to take different measurements than he should have. I will never forget that night.

Dave Ross....I remember being at you place 4-5 springs ago breaking some ground.

MARLIN - First job I had @ FARMALL was doing subassembly on the frt axle castings, After they were all machined I ran them thru My washing machine then pressed the pivot bushings in and attached the rear pivot ball on the "Wishbone". I also ran the P/S cylinders & frt axle extensions thru the washing machine. One night one of My hoists went down that I used to pull the axles off the back of the washing mach. The castings only weighed 125# or so....so I ran them without that hoist. I had to lift them twice, once off the washer and onto the assembly table, then off the table onto a cart to roll them over to the storage rack. I could run them at least 50% faster without that hoist but NO WAY was I going to lift them off & on to the storage racks 5 ft off the ground!

I remember hearing a LOT about Rohner Mach. when I lived around the Q-C's. A lot of small machine shops struggled to stay in business when Farmall closed. Whitey's Machine (not the ice cream place!), J&J, Reynolds, etc. And that's just a small fraction of the list.

Later on when I was working for a scrap metal recycling equipment company that was in Bettendorf and moved to Moline I got to deal with a WHOLE bunch more machine shops in that area. Williams & White, Douglas Mach, Standard Mach., Foley Ent., Gett Machine, and many others.

Dennis F. I left Rohner Machine to get back into farming. The founder, John was one heck of a person to be admired. Businesslike and yet compassionate. When one of our supervisors was laid up over nine months from a automobile accident while on the way to work John made sure the family had a regular weekly pay check the whole time. No disability insurance type of thing and the medical bills were taken care of by insurance. When FARMALL closed and a couple other companies had bad times that was enough to do the company in.

Latest posts

Back