• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Sprayers and weed control

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PACub100

IHCC Supporter
Well, it's been so dry and hot here in PA that lawn work has been very minimal, but the weeds have been taking over with a vengeance.

I've bought several pump sprayers over the past few years and they all quit after a year or two... and it's not like they get used every weekend.

Which leads to the question, what's a good sprayer that will last forever or close to it?

Also, what's a good brand of weed killer that won't kill everything it touches? I get weed killer from my dad (farmer) and dilute it for around the house but it'll kill anything it gets on...

I found Speed Zone is a good weed killer allowing reseed in less than 4 weeks per their instructions. Hose end or pump sprayer.

Round Up makes a weed killer that says on the label, "Kills Weeds, Won't Harm Lawns". Seems to work great. They have a spray wand that takes AA batteries and it sure beats the "pump up" type. Just store it all someplace dry so the batts won't corrode over time, or remove the batts over the winter. If the spray nozzle ever clogs, soak it in a cup of water you just boiled, then put the pick up tube in the water and spray for about 30 seconds. Works every time.

Attachments

• 20240729_125132.jpg
    20240729_125132.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
I got this cheapo one. After about 6 years an O ring dried up. Went to NAPA, went through their o ring box, and for a few pennies, i am up and running. I put roundup through it, insect killer, soap to keep deer off some plants. It keeps chugging away.

Many years ago i had a steel one. Industrial use, we pushed oils through. We sprayed concrete forms. Not sure you wanna reach that deep into your pocket one of those. Lemme try and dig up the brand.
Edited....here it is https://www.amazon.com/Chapin-1949-...117387110-B00002N8O8-&hvexpln=73&gad_source=1

Attachments

• 20240730_162341.jpg
    20240730_162341.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
I got this cheapo one. After about 6 years an O ring dried up. Went to NAPA, went through their o ring box, and for a few pennies, i am up and running. I put roundup through it, insect killer, soap to keep deer off some plants. It keeps chugging away.

Many years ago i had a steel one. Industrial use, we pushed oils through. We sprayed concrete forms. Not sure you wanna reach that deep into your pocket one of those. Lemme try and dig up the brand.
Edited....here it is https://www.amazon.com/Chapin-1949-...117387110-B00002N8O8-&hvexpln=73&gad_source=1
speaking of o-ring replacement in a pump-style lawn/garden sprayer, i seem to recall doing the same with mine - and i gave the o-ring a bit of plumber’s grease or silicone grease as i reassembled the thing.
so much stuff will keep on truckin’ with a little TLC to clean up, de-grit/grime, and refurbishment back to a new-ish state.
GOOD LUCK ‘gainst them WEEDS!
🚜💨

Tony, I use Bobbex, especially on hasta which the deer love. Bobbex absorbs in the leaves and good for 3-4 weeks, no longer. Does soap absorb??
Cheers, Jack

Tony, I use Bobbex, especially on hasta which the deer love. Bobbex absorbs in the leaves and good for 3-4 weeks, no longer. Does soap absorb??
Cheers, Jack
I doubt it absorbs in. The smell, more than the taste deters the deer. The damned rabbits, the still eat anything.

Whats the issue? Is the valve clogged or is it clogged at the removeable tip?
Some of them won't pump pressure, the last one I got spit and sputtered everywhere, leaked around the pump handle and didn't spray well at all.
I'd imagine I just need to clean it which I'll do. Just never remembered my dad ever cleaning ours growing up and we'd just mix spray, pump and go...

the quality of rubber (o-ring/seal) today sure isn’t as good as it was years ago.
nothing modern with rubber parts lasts as long as its predecessor did!
(o-rings, inner tubes, mower tires, drive wheels, even rubber bands)
It is easy to find lesser quality, for my job quite often. I am replacing O-rings in hydraulic systems and find it necessary to use Viton orings. They are good quality for hydraulics

What you are perceiving as "low quality" in seals, o-rings, etc. is more likely the wrong material for the wrong application. There are quite a few different O-ring materials, not all of which are compatible with all fluids, and if you are just buying them from a bin at a hardware store you may not know what you are getting.

Tires you get what you pay for. There are quality ones but you have to pay. I will agree on tubes though- unfortunately no one seems to make good tubes anymore.

What you are perceiving as "low quality" in seals, o-rings, etc. is more likely the wrong material for the wrong application. There are quite a few different O-ring materials, not all of which are compatible with all fluids, and if you are just buying them from a bin at a hardware store you may not know what you are getting.

Tires you get what you pay for. There are quality ones but you have to pay. I will agree on tubes though- unfortunately no one seems to make good tubes anymore.
Yup, in the last bunch of years, i would cheap out on buying tires and just put tubes in tires like walk behind brush hogs, hand trucks, wheel barrows. They dont last two years without slow leakdown. Those small diameter rims are a b****tch to work with.

Latest posts

Back