• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

speed control repair on 2182

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary noblit

IHCC Supporter
I have a habit of trying to outthink engineering issues.My solution might help some others.Most of us have experienced control levers that won't stay put.Depending on the model the standard answer has been tighten the nut on the crossshaft in the frame.The 2182 cross shaft is below and behind the radiator( 3 cyl Kubota) .It's impossible to get to without removing the rad.I pondered for days how to get control lever back under friction...On the left side the cross shaft has a nut and concave washers to tighten up friction..The issue was the shafts shoulder came thru the frame enough to keep washers from doing their job because the internal washer was worn out.I made a spacer piece out of polyethylene; the same thing most kitchen cutting boards are made of. Drilled holes to mount it with metal screws and drilled pilot holes in frame.Once screwed in place ,the washers(2) were put back on then the locking nut.It wasn't long before the tension was back and the control lever stayed where it was put.The bad part of removing part of the black plastic was done mostly with a hole saw.It was a necessary trade off because the hyd lines are also in the way of getting the spacer in.(Note it is not round) That trade can be repaired easier than removing the rad to get to the worn out washer that of course is NLA .Hopefully my final repair on this awesome machine .My wish is that this explanation helps someone else !!!

Attachments

• 20241002_144408.jpg
    20241002_144408.jpg
    2 MB
  • 20241002_145659.jpg
    20241002_145659.jpg
    1.5 MB
I have a habit of trying to outthink engineering issues.My solution might help some others.Most of us have experienced control levers that won't stay put.Depending on the model the standard answer has been tighten the nut on the crossshaft in the frame.The 2182 cross shaft is below and behind the radiator( 3 cyl Kubota) .It's impossible to get to without removing the rad.I pondered for days how to get control lever back under friction...On the left side the cross shaft has a nut and concave washers to tighten up friction..The issue was the shafts shoulder came thru the frame enough to keep washers from doing their job because the internal washer was worn out.I made a spacer piece out of polyethylene; the same thing most kitchen cutting boards are made of. Drilled holes to mount it with metal screws and drilled pilot holes in frame.Once screwed in place ,the washers(2) were put back on then the locking nut.It wasn't long before the tension was back and the control lever stayed where it was put.The bad part of removing part of the black plastic was done mostly with a hole saw.It was a necessary trade off because the hyd lines are also in the way of getting the spacer in.(Note it is not round) That trade can be repaired easier than removing the rad to get to the worn out washer that of course is NLA .Hopefully my final repair on this awesome machine .My wish is that this explanation helps someone else !!!
I just did this last week on a 2084 but used a plstic washer,slotted it, then removed the nut and slipped it on the shaft.
Easy peasy

Back