• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Snow Removal Advice for 1650

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

characterboat

Ahoy. Long time listener first time caller.

I'm in need of a new snow clearing solution and wondering about the practicality of using my 1650, also what would work best.

It's a rural driveway in need of a redo, single lane with two parking spaces, rutted gravel fading into the lawn, about 125 yards long with a short steep hill at one end. For the last several years I've been using a Craftsman/Husqvarna 24" two stage blower and it used to take me an hour but now it takes three or four, it's wearing out and the snow is wetter. Last winter the snow was so wet I couldn't do anything with it. Two problems it's always had is that it amplifies the unevenness of the driveway with each clearing and it needs several inches of snow to be effective. That means the frequent light snows we tend to get accumulate. It seems like a job for a blade to me and I'm sure my 1650 could do 90% of what we get but once or twice most years we get an 18" dump overnight with a drift twice that depth out by the road. I'm not sure if I could get enough traction to deal with that effectively. We're near Ottawa, Canada.

Here's the different thoughts I've got, open to other suggestions:
-Pay someone with a truck or farm tractor to do it.
-Buy a beater truck to do it.
-Put a blade on the tractor.
-Put a blower on the tractor.
-Get a bucket for the tractor?
-Other suggestions?
I like to be self-sufficient so if I can take the money I'd put into paying someone and invest in useful equipment that would be ideal. If I'm considering a beater plow truck it might be worth considering a bucket, which would be ridiculously handy for other things but might be a pain to mount and unmount? The blade seems like the better solution than the blower, less maintenance and potentially other uses, but I'm open to compelling arguments otherwise.

Anyway, thanks in advance for the two cents!

Character,Literally I've been pushing snow for 63 yrs so I have a little experience..My opinions:::2 wheel drive tractors are not the best for pushing snow,4 wheel are usually very good...I've used a blower on a tractor once ,the hardest part was seeing thru windows.Buckets on a tractor are pretty good if you keep it fairly low,a slip/slide is not cool with a high bucket..I have been plowing for the last 20 yrs with a Jimmy (actually 2) with an old jeep blade mounted(6') that has amazed many about how good it can do.It's not about power or speed ,it's about finess of equipment,being able to feel what you and the machine are doing.Follow a plan ,the first snow gets carried back to make room for several more to come.My rpms never get over 1200 in 4 wheel high but i may plow the first 6" even if more is coming.Traction is relevent to everything..I'm in So.Mi. so our average is 7 or8 times a yr,last yr I only did 3 runs.....My vote is an old beater that's 4 wh.dr. dependable but not pretty.Then if you get an 18 plus get what you can and call someone with a big machine.The last big one we had I plowed about every 6 hrs but by than i was down to only a few long term customers...The trans held up very well on the Jimmys and they were autos...The 97 to 04? had frame mount pull hooks.Once removed it was easy to make a plow mount that slipped into the frame....you owe me 2 cents

18" is a lot of snow for a blade unless you have a lot of weight on the tractor and the snow is very light.

I'd be looking for an 82 series or 'cyclops' model with a 2-stage snowblower. That will take care of any type or amount of snow you get.

Just my two cents worth. I have a 129 and two versions of the QA42. One is an earlier model that I modified to a QA42A. I also added screw style adjustable skids to it. It served me well for several years but I've upgraded to a late model 4 paddle QA42A which in my opinion works better than the 2 paddle version. Folks have said that these single stage blowers do not do well in heavy or slushy snow as it supposedly will constantly plug the chute. I have not had that problem even with the early model and it was beat up & rusty. I've blown wet snow & snow that was several inches deep where it was pushing over the top of the blower. And I do not have a speed up pulley. Suffice it to say, I've had good luck using these blowers. I've seen some good ones go for $100-$200 in my area. These are lighter than a 2 stage blower and will not unload the rear tires as much.

The 1650 has 23x10.50-12 tires on it. I would recommend going to the smaller tire like my 129 has, 23x8.50-12. (I also have a 1650.) The narrower tire cuts through the snow better. You will need chains and wheel weights. I also added a weight box on the back. I have not had much problems getting around in the snow. I've attached a pic of my set up. Note the adjustable skids that I've added. Makes quick work when I need to raise or lower. Also, this is the older beat up blower. I've used it for several years but just upgraded to the new 4 paddle version last year.

Attachments

• 1230200924.jpg
    1230200924.jpg
    8.3 MB · Views: 0
Just my two cents worth. I have a 129 and two versions of the QA42. One is an earlier model that I modified to a QA42A. I also added screw style adjustable skids to it. It served me well for several years but I've upgraded to a late model 4 paddle QA42A which in my opinion works better than the 2 paddle version. Folks have said that these single stage blowers do not do well in heavy or slushy snow as it supposedly will constantly plug the chute. I have not had that problem even with the early model and it was beat up & rusty. I've blown wet snow & snow that was several inches deep where it was pushing over the top of the blower. And I do not have a speed up pulley. Suffice it to say, I've had good luck using these blowers. I've seen some good ones go for $100-$200 in my area. These are lighter than a 2 stage blower and will not unload the rear tires as much.

The 1650 has 23x10.50-12 tires on it. I would recommend going to the smaller tire like my 129 has, 23x8.50-12. (I also have a 1650.) The narrower tire cuts through the snow better. You will need chains and wheel weights. I also added a weight box on the back. I have not had much problems getting around in the snow. I've attached a pic of my set up. Note the adjustable skids that I've added. Makes quick work when I need to raise or lower. Also, this is the older beat up blower. I've used it for several years but just upgraded to the new 4 paddle version last year.
I've plowed snow with an Elec-Trak E12 for many years with 23x8.50-12 AG tires and 180 lbs on back. Why 8.50 rear tires....look at any Farmall for a clue....the 8.50's dig into snow better as Dennis says.
Think there two options, pay someone with a truck OR get a 2 stage blower for the 1650.
Cheers, good luck, Jack

An issue you may have with a blade, be it 42 or 54 ia when pushing up into a pile, you must be careful to not let too much fall over behind the blade, enough to pile up as this will wind up being to much if your blade is at full height and you won't be able to back up.

Also, like was already mentioned, when pushing wel snow, keep in mind it will likely freeze solid and then you will be SOL moving it again!

Good luck and enjoy your winter!!

I've plowed snow with an Elec-Trak E12 for many years with 23x8.50-12 AG tires and 180 lbs on back. Why 8.50 rear tires....look at any Farmall for a clue....the 8.50's dig into snow better as Dennis says.
Think there two options, pay someone with a truck OR get a 2 stage blower for the 1650.
Cheers, good luck, Jack
PS: Not for nothing for the past 3 years I'm using a Toro power max HD 826 OXE thrower. Its first snowfall was a monstrous dump of 25"....no problem.

I'd be using the 1650 with a QA-42A 4 paddle blower! I use a 149 and my place and another 149 at my dads. I have blown plenty of heavy and deep snow with both. plenty of weight on the back, chains or straps if you can find them are a must. I'd have more pics but I'm not a big fan of being out in the cold taking pics lol

Attachments

• Blowing Snow January 2023.jpg
    Blowing Snow January 2023.jpg
    501 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I don't know how hard it is to find the attachments up there, but, if it were me, I'd do both a blade and a QA42A.
They're not super fun but they're not that bad to change out and you can use the blade for anything wet or less than (I'd say) 6" of snow...just hook up the thrower when you're expecting a good amount.

I've only had slight issues with really wet snow (basically white slush) and my QA42A (it's a 4 paddle with speed up pulley)...otherwise, it'll shoot somewhat heavy snow a good 15-20'. I have pavement so my thrower sees all the work, with gravel, you can run small diameter plastic pipe on the cutter blade to prevent catching gravel and running it thru the thrower...this will prevent abuse and prolong your attachment.

But the real question is...why aren't you like the rest of us whackos and not out looking for another Cub with a snow blade so you have one for each occasion?? :ROFLMAO:

I don't know how hard it is to find the attachments up there, but, if it were me, I'd do both a blade and a QA42A.
They're not super fun but they're not that bad to change out and you can use the blade for anything wet or less than (I'd say) 6" of snow...just hook up the thrower when you're expecting a good amount.

I've only had slight issues with really wet snow (basically white slush) and my QA42A (it's a 4 paddle with speed up pulley)...otherwise, it'll shoot somewhat heavy snow a good 15-20'. I have pavement so my thrower sees all the work, with gravel, you can run small diameter plastic pipe on the cutter blade to prevent catching gravel and running it thru the thrower...this will prevent abuse and prolong your attachment.

But the real question is...why aren't you like the rest of us whackos and not out looking for another Cub with a snow blade so you have one for each occasion?? :ROFLMAO:
Awesome reply. The pipe idea is a pro tip, for sure.
And to answer your question: because one day I'm going to have to move.

Question: what tractor do you own that may take a bucket?
I have 400' foot driveway, gravel.
I use a plow on my 782 for a lot of early snows. With front snd rear chains and 80lbs of weight on the back. That little guy pushes an impressive amount of snow. 14" of cold, not too heavy snow is s breeze. I replaced the small round shoes for a larger shoe that helps with the early, stone digging, plowing. You still gotta play with the lift to keep from digging.
Your wet/heavy snow is unfriendly to any snowblower. Putting the belting rubber on the impellar to tighten tolerances of a 2 stage helps greatly but single stage blowers will not throw it far, if at all.
After the winter gets going and we get a packed snow base then its easy. I use my big tractor with a plow and after the big stuff is removed then i pretty it up with the 782.
Short story, long...i think a plow on thd 1650 will suit your scenario more then a stone throwing blower.
Maybe a rear angle plow on the back of your large tractorvto knock down those big snows, then clean with the 1650

Attachments

• IMG_20221212_073517.jpg
    IMG_20221212_073517.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 0
  • 1000001305.mp4
    4.4 MB
Last edited:
for anyone blading snow on pavement, i highly recommend one of these:
RUBBER WEAR STRiPS

i put one on my Cub’s blade a few years ago and am amazed at how well it gently & effectively performs. unbelievably durable, too. like a squeegee for the snow.
IMG_9113.jpeg

IMG_9114.jpeg

with dual wheel weights and 2-link chains, the old iHCC 100 punches high above her weight class as a snow-pusher.

big snow, however, which (by my Kansas/KC/Nebraska perspective) might be defined as 10”-12”+ with deeper drifts, would be better managed by a thrower.
❄️ 🚜💨
-CӞ

I use a QA36 snow blower on a 100. It came to our family in 1965 in a crate brand new. My dad worked for IH. It came with a 42" mower, Blade, Blower, A Planet Rototiller, A #2 cart, Creeper drive, Wheel weights. It mowed 5 acers for 5 years then a acre for a few years It then took a rest for 8 years. back in service until 2022 replaced by a Zero Turn for grass kept blowing snow until 2015 then replaced it with a dedicated snow blower tractor. A early narrow frame hydro, which is the best for a blower because of the variable ground speed. the 100 is on its 3rd engine. A rebuild, Then another 12 horse. Now a 16. 3rtd clutch, not because of disk ware but I was there with the engine replacements. The original trans has not had 3rd gear since the mid 70's (long story) It is now jumping out of reverse under load. Have a low hour trans ready to go in. It will be the dedicated plow tractor. Cadets are heavy and with chains and weight and my 290 lbs over the rear axle I DO have traction but no steering, so 4 wheel drive would be the way to go for a blade. With the 2 tractors, I will be able to handle what ever snow comes my way in the least time possible. The blower will get the Slip Plate coating for this winter. That should help with the wet snow, and I guess the blade too. The paint and brush will be out so why not! I have done drifts more than twice the height of the blower, With a couple of stabs at them. The lift rod on the blade was replaced with a 1" rod and I can lift the front of the tractor off the ground for digging in with the blade. I am nostalgic about my tractors, but I am 73 years old and would vote for the clunker truck/plow GOOD heater, defroster and wipers.

Hi all, just want to say thanks for the replies. It's been super helpful for the decisions I've got to make in the coming months. I might go find a blade anyway and then just have a backup for the bigger snows.
Another thought for the Blade: Google 'PVC pipe on snowblade'.
Just like a pipe on the back edge of s snowblower, doing the same with a blade does help keeping thd stones in the driveway. PVC doesnt hold up long. A larger diameter pipe (2") welded on yhr cutting bladd would probably be better than slipping smaller dismeter PVC over it. I never got around to tack welding a large pipe on mine. I just play with the Lift as i go. Then sometimes backblade to even the remaining snow.

Question: what tractor do you own that may take a bucket?
I have 400' foot driveway, gravel.
I use a plow on my 782 for a lot of early snows. With front snd rear chains and 80lbs of weight on the back. That little guy pushes an impressive amount of snow. 14" of cold, not too heavy snow is s breeze. I replaced the small round shoes for a larger shoe that helps with the early, stone digging, plowing. You still gotta play with the lift to keep from digging.
Your wet/heavy snow is unfriendly to any snowblower. Putting the belting rubber on the impellar to tighten tolerances of a 2 stage helps greatly but single stage blowers will not throw it far, if at all.
After the winter gets going and we get a packed snow base then its easy. I use my big tractor with a plow and after the big stuff is removed then i pretty it up with the 782.
Short story, long...i think a plow on thd 1650 will suit your scenario more then a stone throwing blower.
Maybe a rear angle plow on the back of your large tractorvto knock down those big snows, then clean with the 1650

I would have to disagree about the plow. That's what I started out with before going to a QA42A. I'll never go back to the plow for snow. As far as throwing stones, that's why there are skids on the sides and also why I made the quick adjust skids on my thrower. Takes me less than a minute to raise or lower depending on whether I'm clearing gravel or concrete.
I also disagree about the bucket on a tractor. I grew up on a farm in MN. The loader/bucket couldn't hold a candle to a snowblower on a tractor. The main problems with buckets or plows is that the snow gets piled up where a blower or thrower will put the snow out in the field, lawn or ditch whichever case may be.

You can move an amazing amount of snow with a Cub Cadet and a properly set up snow thrower. My 125 with QA42 works great. Be it dry powder or heavy wet snow. Some winters my driveway drifts in and I have to undercut the drift, back up and let it collapse then clear it further. Rinse and repeat. For most snowfalls I can usually just clear the snow in a single pass per path. To work at it's optimum a snowthrower must be free of rust on the inside of the auger housing and especially the inside of the discharge chute. I like to keep mine coated with Slip Plate or some other graphite paint.

A couple from a February 2014 snowstorm.

1868 Cub Cadet 125.jpg

Feb 2014 Snowstorm_01.jpg

March 2006 snow storm.

1968 Cub Cadet_01.jpg

Here's a few screen captures from a video. Snow was from a wet March snow storm in 2007.

QA_Snow_2007_01.JPG

QA_Snow_2007_02.JPG

QA_Snow_2007_03.JPG

QA_Snow_2007_04.JPG

QA_Snow_2007_05.JPG

Back