• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

SG Question

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dajeepman

I know the F terminal dictates the output of the SG.. i know if you ground it out it goes to full charge. So when i first start my Cub 108 the Ammeter bounces around alot but once i runs a min it goes full charge... pegs the Ameter to the right.. It starting to boil my battery. All wires check out good. New wireing harness. 2 different VR and they both do the same thing. so Either the SG is shorted internally. or I got 2 bad VR. Is there a way to test the SG to make sure its not shorted internally?

Delco Service Bulletin for Starter/Generators has the following info:

SG_Excessive_Output.png

Are you sure you are connecting the regulators correctly? The terminals must match the correct wires, and the terminals will not necessarily be in the same physical location on every regulator. For example, a lot of the newer ones have the "GEN" terminal on the back.

Are you sure you are connecting the regulators correctly? The terminals must match the correct wires, and the terminals will not necessarily be in the same physical location on every regulator. For example, a lot of the newer ones have the "GEN" terminal on the back.
I tried everything.. I thinking on mounding a 1 wire mini alternator to the size. be done with the VR all together , I can't keep buying VR.. im on my 3rd and all over charge like constant 20amps.

You can also disconnect the amp gauge and use a junction block to isolate it. Then you can check if it is the issue by using a meter to check the voltage at the battery.

You can also disconnect the amp gauge and use a junction block to isolate it. Then you can check if it is the issue by using a meter to check the voltage at the battery.
I put a clamp amp meter at the SG and when I first started it up I get around 2 to 4 amps charging... then not even 45sec of run time it goes to 18 - 22amps and stays there. It's a fresh battery.. it can't take that kind of charge so it boils the acid.

I put a clamp amp meter at the SG and when I first started it up I get around 2 to 4 amps charging... then not even 45sec of run time it goes to 18 - 22amps and stays there. It's a fresh battery.. it can't take that kind of charge so it boils the acid.
So the one on the Dash is disconnected?

Did you go through the rest of the procedure I posted for troubleshooting excessive output? Being that you remove the wire from the "F" terminal and charging stops, it probably isn't the starter/generator itself.

I doubt you ended up up buying 3 bad new regulators- if this keeps happening you are connecting them wrong, or there is some other fault in the wiring harness. I'll ask again, have you verified each wire is connected to the properly labeled terminal on the regulator, keeping in mind the "GEN" terminal may be on the back, and there may not be a ground terminal for the ground wire used by this series of tractor to connect to since most/all of the new ones I have seen ground through the mounting tabs.

WD_1x8_9_A.jpg

Back