• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Q: Wide frame chassis. Gear driven vs hydro.

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul_CC149

IHCC Supporter
Are there any differences between the chassis of hydro vs gear driven models?
Specifically, I am looking at 128 rear end and 169 chassis.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Are there any differences between the chassis of hydro vs gear driven models?
Specifically, I am looking at 128 rear end and 169 chassis.

Thank you.
Never quite heard of someone refer to these having a chassis, so I'll try to address what's the same and what's different. Obviously you know the tranny rearend is different but has a very similar appearance from the back.

The frame of a 128 and 169 is exactly the same. The hood, lower and upper grill housing and grill are the same except a 169 would have a headlight panel standard and 128 optional. I don't know off hand if the dash pedestal is the same or different. The 128 will have a clutch lever mount and I don't know if that provision is there on the 169 pedestal. I believe the dash itself is the same just the dash plate cover is different to accommodate the hydro lever of the 169 which the 128 cover doesn't have. The frame cover in front of the seat is different. The 128 cover has a slot for the optional creeper shifter lever. 169 cover doesn't have the slot. The fender pan and foot treads, and seat tray and seat are exactly the same, except the 169 will have a cover over the opening for the gear shift lever that the 128 has. There are 2 little side panels that attach to the frame and the gas tank supports. They are the same except the left one for the 169 has a hole for the hour meter (maintenance minder). The 128 has a manual lift arm and rockshaft assembly. Almost all of the 169s were built with the same setup and the dealer was supposed to convert it to a hydraulic lift once the parts became available.

I think that covers pretty much everything that would be considered chassis. Hope it's helpful.

Harry, you missed the part about the brake and clutch lever. You have to remove 11 and 12 and the brake pedal rock shaft from the 169, then replace with one from a 128. You will also need # 1, 2, and 12 off the 128 also. See pictures.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-06-26 at 10-25-03 Lookup Parts Via Diagram Cub Cadet US.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-26 at 10-25-03 Lookup Parts Via Diagram Cub Cadet US.png
    153.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2024-06-26 at 10-24-47 Lookup Parts Via Diagram Cub Cadet US.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-26 at 10-24-47 Lookup Parts Via Diagram Cub Cadet US.png
    256.3 KB · Views: 0
Thank you very much HH for your detailed explanation.
Well, as LPalma points out I didn't mention a difference in brake pedal clutch components. I was going from memory and he used the parts lookup.
But he didn't clarify the dash pedestal I wasn't sure about. I remember now there's a bracket bolted across the frame for the clutch lever to hang on, so the dash pedestal itself is the same on both units.
With all the commonality between parts it makes you think IH was way ahead of it's time in the manufacturing process. It took car manufacturers a little longer to pick this up. Why I wouldn't be surprised to see 1 manufacturers cars all the same color in the future. All Federal Yellow and 935 White. Wait a minute. I guess Henry Ford already did try all the same color for awhile.

Harry, The bracket you inquire about is not part of the dash tower bolts to the frame. You musta be a slippin' in your old age...hehehe
I remember this from all my years of relentless collecting., parts lookup pictures was for the OP use.

Harry, The bracket you inquire about is not part of the dash tower bolts to the frame. You musta be a slippin' in your old age...hehehe
I remember this from all my years of relentless collecting., parts lookup pictures was for the OP use.
That's why I clarified it. In my first post I was thinking of the narrow frame set up. Then a bell rang and I remembered that brace across the frame which isn't part of the pedestal. Guess I just didn't state it right. One thing I know you're right about is - I'm slippin'. Once you got 7 decades behind the wheel 4 cycles start acting more like 2.

Thank you gents for sharing your knowledge and explaining so many things in great details.
You know, I went and looked at the IH service manual for another reason, and low and behold it has a section titled "Chassis". I'll have to remember that for the future. Chassis does also include the front axle, spindles and wheels. They are the same on the 128 and 169.
Whew, hope that's everything.

Latest posts

Back