• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Model 100 engine

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgover

The Kohler 241 engine in my model 100 burns oil, needs rebuilt. In looking online it looks like the few parts available cost a fortune, as oversize piston and rings $400 and up. I have second thoughts about putting a fortune into that old engine. Question: IH uses both ends of the engine crankshaft to power the tractor, is there any replacement engine a guy could use? Driving off both ends of the crank makes it quite uncommon. Has anyone ever found an engine like that? thank you.

There are decent quality aftermarket parts available that should quite a bit less than that. Use an OEM governor gear. Other parts, aftermarket will be fine. Still will be more than $400 including machine work for a proper rebuild.

You will spend a LOT more than $400 cobbling a different engine in there unless you have a lot of tools and skills, and you will end with something worth less than the sum of its parts.

I was hesitant about rebuilding my Kohler 241, at least at the sites I looked at, parts very $$, some of them like intake valve not available. Yes, mine needs work, blue smoke heavily and has oil dripping out of the muffler after running a while. I have no doubt that putting some other type of engine in it will be expensive.I have a 1953 Ford F100 with extensive upgrades and know all about it costing a lot more to build something than the end result is worth. I will do so more checking around about parts before tearing into it. I don't use this 100 for anything important, so I may leave it as it is. thank you.

All the aftermarket kits I have used for the K series engines came with new valves.
All I had to buy were the guides for an additional $20 or so.
Your machine shop will tell you what you need.
Have them check it out BEFORE you order any parts.

I have not personally used these, but most people seem to have good luck with them:

https://isavetractors.com/ultimate-engine-rebuild-kit-kohler-k241-10hp/

As David said, have the block and crankpin measured before ordering so you know which bore oversize and undersize rod (or standard if you are lucky) are needed.

Has everything you need and a few things you don't. Rebuild your original carb instead of using the aftermarket one. This being a 10 hp, you will either have to cut the dipper on the connecting rod to look like the one on your current engine, or switch to the deep sump oil pan from the K301-K341 engine, as they don't make the connecting rod specific to the CC spec K241 flat oil pan.

Back