• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Cub Cadet 107

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello, I’ve copied and pasted from my registry post to start a thread here.

I am in the process of freshening up my cub 107. I got it for free when we bought our house in 2017. Put new tires, replaced gasket between rear end and hydro and freed up relief valves at that time. Have done a few things since then (breather, points, muffler, had SG rebuilt). Used with 42" deck to mow about 1.25 acres until I got a new mower in 2020. Also have a snow thrower that needs some tlc. Have used it for pulling a 4' York rake since. The wiring harness finally gave up so I disassembled with the intention of just doing the harness but decided to give it some love in the meantime. This will be a stockish rebuild and I will try to keep it looking original as best I can but am limited by time and so have to budget that and money. I will be using rattle cans that are close but not perfect as im not set up to use my compressor for painting at this time. Thanks!
Nate

Attachments

• IMG_7025.jpeg
    IMG_7025.jpeg
    163.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7024.jpeg
    IMG_7024.jpeg
    210.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5454.jpeg
    IMG_5454.jpeg
    5.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5455.jpeg
    IMG_5455.jpeg
    5.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5456.jpeg
    IMG_5456.jpeg
    5.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5466.jpeg
    IMG_5466.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5465.jpeg
    IMG_5465.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6871.jpeg
    IMG_6871.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6917.jpeg
    IMG_6917.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6916.jpeg
    IMG_6916.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 0
Nero, I have a lot of experience with rattle cans.Surface prep is very important because most paint does not hide flaws it amplifies them.It goes on very thin.I use a good primer first, as a finish I use what is now called "tractor/equipment paint" in rustoleum brand..It does a good job and seems to hold up well.It does appear to give a heavier coat?? I don't paint under 60 deg. and preheat the can in hot water prior to spraying regardless of air temp.With intent I paint at least 2 coats no less than 24 hrs apart.If air temp is below 60 during that time 48 hrs is better..Suggest practice of speed of application,it's easy to get runs if you go too slow....there's 2 cents worth...Some members will not agree to rattles but they work for me .I'm not looking for a showroom finish...

Thanks for the advice. I'm not going for showroom condition, I just want it to look decent enough and like i actually cared about what I'm doing even if it isn't perfect. Have a lot to do this fall, am recovering from surgery plus have an 11 month old and 5yr old so i have to be realistic haha.

How it sits now. Steering wheel is off. Used a jaw puller and split shaft collar under wheel. Will now just clean up chassis and get that painted so I can get harness in. Will start painting little pieces here and there. Still can’t lift the engine for a few more weeks. Got a spare hood, steering box/column and rear brakes. Pictured is some stuff I’ve been gathering for it over the past few months and years. New harness isn’t pictured.

Attachments

• IMG_7028.jpeg
    IMG_7028.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7027.jpeg
    IMG_7027.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
Thanks! My work area is in the basement so I’ll be warm. Just want to get a lot of the paint done before it’s cold out and I have the stove going/door closed.

What is a good way to clean up the chrome on the deck lift and clutch levers? It’s not perfect and some is peeling. Just want them to look a little better.

Some more little odds and ends pictured:

Attachments

• IMG_7026.jpeg
    IMG_7026.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
I've been cleaning up chrome stuff the last couple days for a car show and S.O.S. pads do wonders for that,
That and a good rinse followed by chrome cleaner really makes it shine.

Nothing wrong w/Rustoleum for these projects.
I buy it by the 6 pac from Home Depot, much cheaper and free shipping to boot!

I've been cleaning up chrome stuff the last couple days for a car show and S.O.S. pads do wonders for that,
That and a good rinse followed by chrome cleaner really makes it shine.

Nothing wrong w/Rustoleum for these projects.
I buy it by the 6 pac from Home Depot, much cheaper and free shipping to boot!
David, Rustoleum now sells rattlers with three spray nozzles. Have you used them? Results?
Thanks, Jack

After every use I clean nozzles with carb cleaner,inside and out..makes tremendous difference..After a yr they commonly don't work but sometimes spraying into the can outlet and let set will help..
Its a crime that the envionmental people forced spray cans that you no longrr can hold upside down, spray, to clean before storing. So now one spends more money and more pollutants to buy carb cleaner or Acetone, to clean the spray can tips.
The Rustoleum spray can with the pistol grip, i found to be a failure. 40% of the paint drips down the cans i have used. 5 cans.

Order a set of decals from Maple Hunter. Am I supposed to just put the decal over my current dash tin?

Also here’s are pic of the original harness:

Attachments

• IMG_6905.jpeg
    IMG_6905.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6918.jpeg
    IMG_6918.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
I would clean up and paint the dash tin where it is supposed to be painted, then cut out the logos and labels and apply them to the repainted dash tin. That will look better/closer to original than just putting that whole huge decal over the tin.

Back