• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Coil problem?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RealJeep

I got the old 77 Kohler running on the 1450 but after it warms up it starts backfiring and then shuts off. The carb seems fine and I'm thinking the coil is the culprit as it was pretty hot. Suggestions/thoughts?

I got the old 77 Kohler running on the 1450 but after it warms up it starts backfiring and then shuts off. The carb seems fine and I'm thinking the coil is the culprit as it was pretty hot. Suggestions/thoughts?
Change out the condenser with a known good one.

I have a similar issue with my 1250. I have changed my condenser and that didn't fix the issue. I'm still working on the problem but with me after 10 minutes of working it (running the mower deck) it would start to lose power big time and die if I don't throttle it down. After changing the coil and condenser I checked my head gasket and sure enough there was a leak. I replaced the gasket but there still was the problem. I then adjusted the valves, and I think it's better (I say that because my deck belt broke, so I tired pulling around a yard roller for a test). I just ordered a new governor spring because mine was bent and maybe that's part of the problem. Hopefully you find out what your issue is.

I ordered an ignition kit (points, plug, condenser, coil and plug wire) from Amazon for $68. I'm thinking the coil's bad because it got really hot! As soon as the engine cooled off it started and ran fine until it warmed up again. Stay tuned.

A really hot coil is never a good thing,your remarks about resting the tractor for a spell tells me you are on to something. I have a digital temp gun that I have in my arsenal.I use it often,especially on mower bearings,try one,what the heck!Good luck

A really hot coil is never a good thing,your remarks about resting the tractor for a spell tells me you are on to something. I have a digital temp gun that I have in my arsenal.I use it often,especially on mower bearings,try one,what the heck!Good luck
What would you say is too hot for a coil? I have one of those guns and will try that.

What would you say is too hot for a coil? I have one of those guns and will try that.
What I do,works for me,is I try to check temps periodically on components for a running average.My 125 is running good,if it starts to stutter, I have a baseline. I do the same with my mower deck bearings.Its a another tool in a guys arsenal.Different tool,but I use a multimeter on my electrical system,trying to react to possible problems before they get serious,it works for me.

What I do,works for me,is I try to check temps periodically on components for a running average.My 125 is running good,if it starts to stutter, I have a baseline. I do the same with my mower deck bearings.Its a another tool in a guys arsenal.Different tool,but I use a multimeter on my electrical system,trying to react to possible problems before they get serious,it works for me.
I like that method. I'll try that on my 1250.

What do you monitor with your multimeter? TIA
I have an older interstate brand battery that shows signs its getting to the end.Since I have two tractors,I alternate,if I plan on using my 125 in a day or so I check the voltage,if its down I slow charge it,after starting and using it,I check voltage while running at full throttle vs volt guage in the dash.My other tractot is a brand new Kubota T2290,its now 2 years old with 50 hours,I wrote the voltages,same way ,while new on battery with marker,as this tractor ages,I have a reference, mainly piece of mind,maybe over kill.Hope I answered your questions

Back