• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Archive through May 01, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alligned the fork and tightened down, put cover back on and it shifts fine, nice and tight no slop.
Will have to study up on replacing that gear, sounds serious to me.

Tim K, many a year ago I replaced gears in a small car tranny. If I could do that, a little Cub tranny should be no problem for you. Go for
thumbsup.gif
it!

Allen,
If I can find enough pictures to follow I'll give it a shot. I have a service manual for a 71, I would think that would be pretty much the same but it doesn't cover gear dissasembly only inspection. The longer I stare at it the less intimidating it appears.

Tim, years ago I did a Sportster 1000. I if ya do it check your lash or end play and shim accordingly. Although I'd like to know how you remove the main shaft. I hope you'll do us the pics.

The reason I asked about that voltage regulator (I googled it to death) is it was not on the tractor. I got it used and thought it might be for a 12 volt negitive system. (positive ground)

Hi all, I have been reading and learning from you all since I bought my Cub 123 a few weeks ago. In preparation for my first mounting or the mower deck, I wanted to clean up and sharpen the blades. Before using too much force, I just have to ask: Are those bolts that hold the blades on normal or reverse thread? Thanks for all your great info.

The steps for rebuilding the gearbox are in the repair manual. Not brain surgery - take it apart a piece at a time and make note of the sequence - take pictures!!

Worst one I ever had was a '51 Mercury overdrive R&R - standing the case on end and dropping everything back into it (this was about 15 years ago - I'd just put a late model 5 speed in it if I had to do it again...

Raining here again, thank heavens that the pig and the cub did their job!!

Kendell,
I have blue ribbon service (GSS-1349). Is there a more detailed repair manual? I found the blowup in my TC-103 that helps alot.

will thanks again guys but it wasn't me atoll I had the s/g rebuilt and they got the windings backwards. I spinet most of the day going over wiring checking the valves and any thing I could thing of.
bash.gif
poof.gif
explotar2jr.gif

how do I redo me profile so can ad a pic of the 125?
Thanks Mike.

Tim Keefe. If you realigned your shift fork and retightened it, there is a good posibility that its broke loose on the fork underside.If you take the top bolt loose and can move the top of the shift fork the you'll need a welder.or it will work loose again.

Mike M.
At the top of every page in the top left, you will see the words "Edit Profile"
just click it and that will take you to your profile and you can change your info or pic there.
thumbsup.gif

Mick,
I Think my fork is ok, it is tight and the shifter feels great, are you thinking it is damaged or that the bolt just worked loose?

Mike Morrison: "got the windings backwards". Does that mean that the s/g turned the wrong way? Or, (trying to answer my own question, now) did they screw up in the winding to brush attachments?
dunno.gif

Chris K.: Welcome
groupwave.gif
to both you and your "new" 123.
thumbsup.gif

And ... speaking of profiles, I just updated my tagline. Let's see if it worked...

Does anyone know of a procedure to adjust an International Harvester spring assist on a narrow frame? Thanks

Frank yes the s/g turned the wrong way. On most tractors the rotation is clockwise. but the engine is backwards in the cub's because of the p.t.o.

Mike: I was curious because I just took a s/g apart, cleaned it, and put it back together. I've hooked it to a battery and it turns the right way -- I don't know if it charges, yet. They're not rocket science, but if a coil burns out the screw that holds it to the case can be a bear to remove. The manual shows a special tool to remove those screws - like how many of us have one of them?
bash.gif

Oh, the engine isn't backwards in the Cubs, it's backwards in the rest of them.
clappy.gif

Steve S
I was having the same problem .Thanks to Paul Funk I got it to work correctly. I took the vr cover off and all I did was run a piece of paper between the contacts with the smaller wire windings on it .
Or you could do both contacts.Be careful! disconnect the pos cable on the bat to be safe.

The coil windings where burned out and i am guessing the replacements where clockwise. I don't thing you can just get them backwards.
If this %$#& cub cost me any more money I am going to crush it.
bazooka.gif
poof.gif

Latest posts

Back