• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Archive through May 01, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gotta thank Rob Dehli for letting a couple of us plow up one of his dad's fields. IMHO a VERY nice place to plow all day on a Cub, wish I had more time out there.

I did get to plowing with my "Blunier-improved" plow. Can't say enough as to how much moving the coulter foreward and drilling the third hole in the yoke does. The only time I EVER had to reverse (didn't ever have to even get off) was when my front axle balled up some trash, reversed then gave it some ramming speed and the plow cleared the slug. This was a bean field that had been harvested either 4 or 6 row, and tailings were just laid out in a line. Perfect test, passed with flying colors. All I can say is a big thanks to Steve for getting out a good solution to the Brinly's plugging problem. It makes for a much more enjoyable time to be able just to sit and drive without hanging off the back watching for when the plow's going to plug.
18394.jpg

18395.jpg

Hey Everybody! Yesterday and today I spent some quality-time in the driveway with torch, chopsaw MIG and stick-welder
lazerburn.gif
and made a great little cart for shufflin' my little boat around... made from something I brought home from my WFM weekend trip, it's on four 4.80x8 four-bolt rims- two spaced wide in back, and a pair spaced close (tricycle like) up front on yet-another-spindle as a pivot. I had the runabout set on it, and tugged it home with the 127 I built up for Dad (Thanks again, Tom!). Worked like a champ, now I can pull the boat's cylinder head and fix that burned valve. Pictures later!

Here's pix;
18397.jpg

18398.jpg

18399.jpg

Notice the front wheelset pivot- it's a spindle and hub! Cool, huh?

The boat's a '70 SeaRay SRV180... I gave it a major rehab back in 1991. Originally powered by a 153ci Chevy four driving MerCruiser 120/140 drive through 1.98:1 gears and a 17 pitch prop. Now it's got a hopped-up 250ci Chevy inline six, full roller valvetrain, 10:1 CR, electornically injected and ignited, swinging a 23p cleaver prop through 1.32:1 gears... rev limiter's set at 5000, and it sits right there. Do the math- it's fast... that is... when all the valves are workin'... notice the name.. . :)

weighs about 1600lbs, and the 127 had NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER pulling it from the marina (2 blocks up the street) to my driveway here. Cubs are GREAT!

Has anyone tried Iron Guard Paint over Rust-Oleum rusty metal primer? I've heard of some funny reactions before...

Also, does anyone have a break down of a OT 1512's drive line (I'm pretty sure it's the same as a 782D).

Thanks,

Matt

Dave -- yea yea yea nice but what happened to the 153 ???

Wyatt... Your welcome dad said we can play in any of the bean fields we want... Its really nice to have friends close enough to enjoy there hobbies together... nothin like plowin with cubs { I was the only one who had to get off due to trash!!!!!!!}

Well, I should'a kept it for a Cub Cadet, but I was an apartment-dweller at the time, so it found a new home for the measly return of $200. :-\ Other'n breathin' quite a bit of oil, it was still a useable mill...

Dave R., yes, I believe I got enough video of PDV7 to make it worth offering a video on VHS and DVD. Brad D. was kind enough to take about an hour of video and send it to me. (Thanks to Chris E. for delivering it to the WFM Spring Break.) I have the video captured to the PC and should have the first test DVD burnt early this week. Need to haul a good DVD burner home from work, the one I brought home this weekend has issues. I also have the WFM video captured to the PC, same deal with the test DVDs. I have a Master VHS tape of both so I should be in production very soon. I'll be posting details in the classifieds as soon as they are ready. I have a few photos of PDV7 on the way from Jim B. I'll be including them with the WFM video collection and offering them on CD. As with the videos watch for details in the classifieds.

Matt "K",
I've done the IH paint over Rusty-olem. Didn't have a problem, just make sure you give the primer plenty of drying time.

Dave"K",
Not a "spark plug collector" per say, more of a McCormick-Deering, International Harverster collector. I saw the 'ol IHC and had to clean it up and shelf it. Got all kinds' o neat "trinkets".

Brad "D",
Call me when you have a chance. Don't have your phone #.

(Message edited by thoffman on May 02, 2004)

Capt'n Kirk-
I love the muffler crutch idea for your QL. I always thought those were a silly design to begin with, but that should make it better.

Wyatt-
at the risk of soundin' like a dumb city boy....
18403.jpg

What's the Super Chief decal that you and Blunier have on your plows?

Wyatt,

Glad it worked out for you, I like the offset swinging coulter bracket.

Spent some time in the garage tonight with the new 128.....rebuilt the carb and replaced the headgasket (it was leaking, but not bad) then gave it a good carb tuning and juiced the r's some to get it to a full 3600.

I will be replacing this 12hp with a 14hp, but this engine will go in my loader, so I want to give it a little work-out before I pull it (just to see what shape it's in). Still evaluating clutch options for behind the 14hp.

Looks like this fall I'll a 169 hydro and a 148 gear drive to play with in the furrow....should be fun!!!!
happy.gif
happy.gif

Art, Art, Art.......

You need to read up on your IH history some more......
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

IH marketed their plow bottoms under the "Super Chief" moniker until the late 70's when they switched to "Earth Metal"

Advertising from the 60's and 70's had an Indian Chief holding a spear up against the replaceable point of the "Plow Chief" bottom.

Wyatt and I both worked that idea independantly and discovered that we were doing the same thing at PD7.

Basically, it's a tid-bit for those who realize what it is to say "cool, just like the big plows
happy.gif
" ......and a "what the $%^& is that" for everybody else
happy.gif

(Message edited by sblunier on May 02, 2004)

You can see parts of the decals

here....
18407.jpg

and here...

18408.jpg

Steve-
Thanks for the explanation, like I said..."city boy"...

I tried to do some research on Super Chief, but all I came up with was info on the old Santa Fe Line.
18410.jpg

Yer not the "train-guy" type, so I figured it wasn't that...

Art -- yer gonna have to relinquish yer handle, "Plow Special" to Steve and Wyatt now.
How about "CB" Art ?

Wyatt -- I could see your clouter piercing a corn stalk and maybe just rolling it around if the ground was real hard with the long tooth clouter as opposed to the shorter blunter IH clouter. It sure beats the rippled edge design I've seen on some 30 years ago. They were on the tripple 16's JD I used.

Ken-
You forgot the D in front of that "CB"...
roflol.gif

(Message edited by aaytay on May 02, 2004)

Sorry Art , my bad ... maybe you should change your handle to "DearCB" Art
18412.gif
18413.gif
18414.gif
18415.gif
18416.gif

18417.gif
18418.gif
18419.gif
18420.gif
18421.gif

18422.gif
18423.gif
18424.gif
18425.gif
18426.gif

18427.gif
18428.gif
18429.gif
18430.gif
18431.gif

I prefer 'Earth Metal'... that's like... dude... between Grunge, Folk Rock, and SpeedMetal... 'yknow- like when Nirvana played benefits for Greenpeace and The Sierra Club...

Hee hee... did post-mortum examination on a K241 here tonight... it's actually the original engine that came in my 109, and it was retired some 18 years ago when I developed a 'knock'. PO stuck in a 'service replacement' but hung onto the original motor in case it could provide parts to keep the new one going. Well, the rod was still connected to the piston, but not to the crank... matter of fact, the rod was totally lacking a 'big end'. What's left of it was in at least FIVE pieces down in the pan. There was still a full 'case of oil in it when I pulled it apart, and it looked alright (especially after sitting for that many years!).

What commonly caused these motors to break up an otherwise okay rod?

The fascinating thing is... the bore looks beautiful, as does the piston and crank throw. I don't see any contact marks in the pan or crankcase wall, and the timing gears escaped damage... but the darned rod's bottom half is totally busted to pieces. The bolts look undamaged- not like they came loose and unthreaded 'till they hit something.

Guesses anyone?

I've got a K301 originaly out of my 127 just like that. I was told by a local that Kohlers were bad for the cap bolts getting loose.
Not that it could be used on these little rods but a guy I know that builds roundy racers torques the bolts until the specified length is reached specified by the rod cap bolt manufacture instead of using a torque wrench. Sounds odd after being use to a pointer wrench.

Anyone?

Does anyone have a DELCO (or any other brand for that matter) part number for a voltage regulator for a model 86 (I assume it's the same as all the others of that vintage {i.e., 129, 149, 169, etc})? We tried to cross the IH part number without success. Any help would br appreciated.

Thanks

Scott

Latest posts

Back