• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Archive through January 21, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dale, I never knew that about the 86 starter/generator pulley and PTO mount. I had to go dig up photos of Rich Julian's 86. Sure enough. Thanks for the info.
happy.gif
(I'm not sure what's up with the decal on Rich's 86 though...
1a_scratchhead.gif
)

113581.jpg

Thanks Brendan, yes it needs the reinforcement upgrade, but not sure I want to pull it completely yet. Got to have that snow blade ready to go at a moments notice!!

hello Gentle men,

I have a question. Today I was on the kohler web site and noticed they make short blocks for the k series engines and the price between the 10 and 12 is not much. will the head and carb off my 10 hp work on theis engine?

mark

Here are some pics of an 86 S/G bracket my dad modified to use with the larger 12hp. Note the diff spacing for the bracket to block bolts.
113597.jpg

113598.jpg

I have since installed the correct 12hp bracket.

Dale Merkle (Dmerkle) just a question for you or someone here, i thought the 147 was not a high built Cub in numbers. Can someone tell me how many were built. Thanks for the help with this. Later Don T
old.gif

mark helvak (Mshelvak), i believe the 10 hp and 12 hp cubs use a #26 carb and the 149 and 169 use the #30 .At least that is what i have installed on my cubs. hope this helps you.

Don T,
There were 15,678 total units built of the 147. This information is in Hank Will's book, Cub Cadet, The First 45 Years.

Don T.
Could your 54" blade be taken apart and remounted on the A-frame to a 42" blade?

Dale-
Can you explain what you mean by this?

"The front cross member is in the way to run PTO driven attachments."

I'm not questioning your accuracy, I just don't understand.
1a_scratchhead.gif

By Paul W.Roessler (Proessler) on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 11:40 am:

...Bought first new IH 128 years ago...

I'm just wondering, Paul; Did you get a new IH model 128 an unspecified number of years ago? Or did you get an new, unspecified model IH that many years ago?
1a_scratchhead.gif

Just kiddin' - don't mean to be a wiseguy. Sometimes I just crack myself up!
clappy.gif

Art, I believe the K181 is too small and if the position of the PTO pulley were near the block as on other Cubs, it would be too far to the rear to clear the WF axle pivot channel. Don't know if that helps. Look at the two photos I posted and you can see the PTO and S/G pulley are spaced away from the front of the engine block.

TODD H. - The 10, 12, 14, & 16 HP S/G brackets should all be the same. The 7&8 HP brackets are different but use the same casting, just mounted upside-down and to get the pulleys lined up correctly You have to drill that other hole like Your Dad did. I made that same modification to the K161/181 bracket on My 72 when I put the K241 in back in 1985. Kohler should have made them that way from the factory....Interchangable parts...Imagine that!

The spacer on the one S/G mounting bolt must be an 86-series only part. Nothing like that on any Cubbie I've had, 70, 72, 129, etc. The thickness of that spacer must be how far ahead the pullet, etc gets moved.

So, did the rear stub of shaft on the 86's engine need to be longer than normal??? Could make for some fun when fitting this motor into a different tractor.

tim keefe (Tkeefe) Yes you are correct the 54" blade can be install with the other sub frame. But the PO did a mod and welded another plate so close to the end that i can`t spread the sub frame apart to switch from the 42" to the 54". I have changed my plans on the blade and will install quick attach brackets and the i can use the 54" blade on my 129 loader and have a power angle on the loader. So then the 129 will be able to use the' blade , bucket and a frame to carry wood from the pile to my house and dump it in the basement . i`am trying to make these Cubs do more than just one job. thanks Don T
old.gif

BUT DON.....If they can ONLY do ONE Job You have to get MORE CUB's!!!
thumbsup_old.gif

DON - Seriously, a hyd. angling blade on a loader sounds like a REAL good idea. Blade on My loader doesn't pivot or angle, just pins on in place of the bucket. Super H is a little light on hyd. capacity, only 6 quart hyd. res. and a single 2-way valve. Runs the loader with trip bucket O-K but not enough more oil cap. for a hyd. bucket, also wouldn't hurt if the pump made 1500 PSI as opposed to the 850-900 it's making now.

Keep Us posted on how that project progresses. Should be a Snow-Moving Animal!

Latest posts

Back