• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Archive through August 14, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Charlie, where's the photo of your white thumb?
happy.gif
Where on earth did you find a NOS pan seat? Very cool!
buttrock.gif
Did you find another Original crate/cardboard?
dunno.gif
Or did you think Jerry was referring to the box for the seat?

You're wife lets you bake parts in her oven, you got it made !

My wife had to work today so I had a chance to check the 73 over better. A couple wires needed to be repaired so I thought I would roll it over and check for spark. Had to drag a piece of paper between the points and a sniff of gas down the carb and it tried to fire. Well that's a good sign....ran in the house and stole my wife's turkey baster since she's not home, the squeeze bulb kind, and filled the float bowl (already took the tank off to clean it) and on the first revolution it fired and sat there at idle
yikes.gif
wasn't expecting that, it sat two years before I got it. I think this will be a nice little Cub. Later on, one of the decent neighbor kids came over to see what I was doing so we talked about the 73 a bit and he says he and a friend has a bunch of 7hp engines and a box of pto clutches. Then he says hey, ya want them ? This is getting better every hour. Oh ya, hasn't run in two years but doesn't miss a beat from idle to 3600, i got luuucky.

Kraig,
I thought I already had a white thumb, but I guess I lost it.
I'll see what I can dig up tomorrow for ya.
biggrin.gif

Come on! Someone has to put one back in the box. Sell it back to Cub Cadet
beerchug.gif

Hi I just got a mower deck for my original. The blades are still useable but they will need to be replaced soon. Does anyone know where I can get new blades or if I can use blades from a newer modle cub?

How can I tell the diff between a 10 hp kohler from a 12 hp kohler? Serial Numbers? Thanks Dustin

Hi,

I have several questions about Cub Cadet tractors, that I suspect apply to all lawn tractors and perhaps all gas driven engines..

1) If a battery is old and unable to hold a charge, will it be the cause for a generator/starter to fail? I bought a new generator/starter (rewired) for my 1969 Model 104. After about a year and maybe 8 mowings, it failed. When I turn the key, it just goes "click," even when using a recharged battery and battery starter.

2) I also have what I believe is a 1963 Model 70. I took the generator/starter off of the Model 70 and put it on the Model 104, and it started and worked. I did not use it, though, because I would like to know if I use the generator/starter from the Model 70 on the 104, will it destroy the generator/starter? Or are they the same generator/starter and it does not matter?

3) I want to be able to use the 70 as back up, while preferring to use the 104 as the primary mowing machine. How can I repair the reasonably new generator/starter that failed?

Thank you,

Dex

Dex B: You seem to have the ground problem common to all IH made Cub Cadets. When you changed the starter, you disturbed the ground circuit enough to get some continuity, and of course, it worked.

If you will purchase yourself a slightly longer new ground cable (sold as starter cables in the auto stores) and run it from the negative (-) terminal of the battery to the Starter/Generator bracket (clean off all rust & old paint - metal to metal contact mandatory!!). Use plenty of di-electric grease on the terminals.

You will likely be surprised what suddenly starts working again, particularly that starter that you said failed. Ground !! Ground!!

Did I mention that the ground is the problem??

Unless you sandblast the frame and pedestal and basically start over, do NOT ever use that pedestal ground point again!!....

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

Latest posts

Back