• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

782 Restore paint

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello everyone. I have moved to the country in southern Georgia. I researched and searched and searched and found a wonderful 1983 782. The mule drive and the tractor will get painted later in the year. The amazing thing is this beauty does not leak a drop of anything onto the carport. All fluids look good.
My question is what are my options for the white paint of the mower deck and red of the tractor. The small town has a limited selection of some "farm and garden" spray paint. Should I just accept the fact that I will be ordering the paint from a source. Suggestions would be appreciated. Is there a close white paint that say Rust-oleum makes?
Thanks in advance for any replies,
Greg

Rust-Oleum Almond is very close to the original white color used at that time. IMO, no sense in using any "better" paint than that on a mower deck on a working tractor, as it is just going to get scratched and scuffed anyway.

Rust-Oleum Almond is very close to the original white color used at that time. IMO, no sense in using any "better" paint than that on a mower deck on a working tractor, as it is just going to get scratched and scuffed anyway.
Well, I'm thinking Rust-Oleum Antique White is a bit closer to the original color. Almond seems a little to dark.

I got a Cadet 782 at auction last year, and the paint was in decent shape, except for on the hood. I scuff sanded it with a "jitterbug", primed it with gray automotive primer, and sprayed it with rattle cans of Rustoleum IH Red that I got at Tractor Supply. Once dry, the hood matched the rest of the 782's red exactly!

I got a Cadet 782 at auction last year, and the paint was in decent shape, except for on the hood. I scuff sanded it with a "jitterbug", primed it with gray automotive primer, and sprayed it with rattle cans of Rustoleum IH Red that I got at Tractor Supply. Once dry, the hood matched the rest of the 782's red exactly!
Thank you

I've learned that the same color from different years and attachments can vary widely. I found a Cub Cadet yellow from Valspar implement paint that I thought matched my deck pulley covers very well, I thought I should share on here what I found. The responses were mostly negative. I believe you will just have to do your own research to find a color and a brand that works for you.

I've learned that the same color from different years and attachments can vary widely. I found a Cub Cadet yellow from Valspar implement paint that I thought matched my deck pulley covers very well, I thought I should share on here what I found. The responses were mostly negative. I believe you will just have to do your own research to find a color and a brand that works for you.
Thank you. I thought about that. There might be variation. Thinking I might be able to match the mower deck pulley cover with the deck is probably not realistic. And as mgonitzke said it is going be dirty and scratched up the most. The red of the body is pretty faded but there is very little rust. When I get ready to to that I'll set up the sprayer and get the right paint Thanks guys!

mgonitzke

Well, I'm thinking Rust-Oleum Antique White is a bit closer to the original color. Almond seems a little to dark.

Original, unfaded paint might be darker than you think. Let's play 'what is original and what is Rustoleum Almond?' :)

20190424_172419.jpg

I would think the inside of the hood and side panels will not be faded.
Agreed. They look pretty good. I bought a can of Ace Hardware farm and implement red and it looks way too dark. I bought that for a metal garden trailer I found that needs coat of paint. I'm going to take it back along with the white I got and make the longer trek to the closest Lowe's and see what they have. It's all fun and I enjoy the hunt for parts (and paint) for the wonderful 782.

Being somewhat colorblind, I think the best thing for me is to just take the mower deck into the store and see what paint cap matches.:cubwinker:
My two cents. Get a quart of Case 935 white, 991116 R1 from Digger. Get a can of hardener and mix small batches at a time. Use the best paint brush you can find, paint will flow out smooth. I used the hardener thinking that clippings would flow away easier.
Cheers, Jack

Latest posts

Back