• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Best model opinion?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Achenbach

Currently have a 129 with a plow and snowblower and mow ~ 1.5 acres weekly using a 48” deck. The 129 typically mows without issue albeit somewhat underpowered. Was considering looking for 149 project (even with 50” deck) while recent posts seem to favor the 1450. That said, curious as to thoughts on what ur dream machine would be (most likely not obtainable for various reasons ie. 169? 982?) and also the one you’d choose for daily /weekly use that you might easily come across on FB mkt place. Thanks in advance

782, 1711, 1811. All are essentially the same machine. The 782 was the most refined IH machine, and 1711 and 1811 produced by MTD are still essentially the same tractor. I have been using a 782 for all four seasons for 10 years. If I could only have one tractor, it would be that.

There's a lot of good ones out there, it's so hard to whittle down the list. I think that there are many models from the (dare I say, the MTD era) Cyclops and prior that are worth owning. I bought my parents an 1864, that my brother is getting off of them - that thing mows a purdy yard and my brother is going to outfit it with a 451 snowblower as well...should be quite the machine!

I can vouch for the 1450, I have used it for the past several years - bought it off Al Thomas and the only thing I needed to do to it was replace the coil and a front crank seal. Other than that, it's been flawless. I've done many upgrades to it and it's just so...darn...reliable. While it is the ugly duckling of the IH cubs and usually the least desirable, the reason I'd choose it over a 149 is the side shields do help with noise and cooling, plus you have a dual stick option, over an 82 series is that the wiring is just way more simple. Tradeoff is the single cylinder vibration...but that's not a biggie to me.

I do like my 1872 though and with Matt's help and some time, maybe I'll get all the wiring bugs worked out and will actually be able to use it. :ROFLMAO:

But...if I could only have one, and no more... I'd have my 100 all the time, every time.

Last edited:
I definitely go with either the 149 or 1450 as easy to come by and best all around. Key advantage over your 129 is the hydraulic lift. I don't think the extra 2hp makes that much difference from your 12 but it's nice to have. Now if you include the Supers in this search then the 1872 is a dream machine with its power steering. The twin 18hp Kohler is a super engine as well.

I have a 125 that really does a nice job mowing.My only wish is it had a removable tunnel. I have broken it to work on the hydro linkage and its not difficult,but does take some time.A removable cover would let me keep things cleaner and maybe catch any problems from developing.I'm not sure when Cub changed,but if I was to buy another,it would have this feature.

I traded up to a 782 and sold my 122 approximately 3 years ago after moving to the Ozarks and needing a hydro instead of a gear drive. It is smooth, hydraulics are great and the brakes work much better on these hills. I loved it so much that I found a 1811 for my son. Great machines and the hydraulic system is so much better for a front or rear blade then a manual lift. My only wish is that it had a cast iron rear but have never had any problems. My two cents!

My daily workhouse is a 122. No hydro, no mower, no thrower. Creeper with a ball up front and in back for moving small trailers of firewood. 3 sets of IH wheel weights. Ag tires on back. Doesn’t stall when hauling 1/4 ton of firewood out of the woods like my CC70/100 did, and not as fancy as my 169 trailer queen. I don’t have good luck with disc brakes but believe they’d be better than the internal puck. And I’m awful at tuning hydros to reset to neutral. So 12 hp gear drive works for what I need. I have a few different models for different use because switching accessories using the mule drive wasn’t easy in a small garage. I have the thrower on the 70 but it clogs in the wet snow, so a two stage thrower would be nice but not on my 122. I have different models each with its own purpose. My $0.02.

Back