• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Archive through July 25, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brad:
This link suggests about a third of a cup of laundry washing SODA in a five gallon bucket and that's about what I've been using. Note that paint removal is usually dependent on the bond of the paint to the metal - I've had good luck with the cast iron pieces that I've done (lathe parts), but if you're trying to get paint off Cub sheet metal, especially if it isn't somewhat rusty, I think you're trying the wrong approach. A lot of the paint that came off still had a weak bond, and I used a quick hit with a wire brush to knock that off..

Tried to fire up the "new" 102 on Saturday. It's got a nice fat spark, the plug was clean, but I was unable to get it to run even with a steady stream of Pyroil starting fluid shot down the carb. I did hear a couple of weak pops, but I'm afraid all the compression has been let out of the motor. Got enough parts here to patch together a running motor, but I'm probably gonna do this one right and get a rebuild kit and some machine work done.

Brad, I had some really tough paint on some old license plates that was resistant to solvent-based removers. It yielded fairly handily to some Lye based cleaning solution.

Update on my last post: I tried starting the 102 again after leaving it on the trickle charger since Saturday. After much cranking, the engine gradually came to life, then started knocking loudly. Shut it off before it stopped knocking ......

Finally got some much needed repairs done to the 102 today thanks to the help of CC Specialties. The release buttons were almost not there. I also replaced the release lever and throw out levers with spares I saved from a parts Cub. Only took about an hour, even lacking all use of one thumb. You don't realize how much you need all your fingers till use of one is gone. Thanks again CC Specialties
thumbsup.gif

Michael, how many set screws did you get out ? Should be 6
Surgeon says it looks good, other than nerve damage it should be good to go.

89269.jpg

Bruce "N",
A little "sniff" of starting fluid is all you need. If it isn't running with all the starting fluid in there you gat a bigger problem. With all that either in the "jug" you lucky it's only nocking and not launching the head off!!! Just a tip if you need to shoot somthing down the throat of your Kohler I'd use carb cleaner. Burn off like gas but too volatile.

Brendan - look at the bright side - if you hold the hammer with your right hand and the nails with the left, you'll never feel the "misses" now....

My 782,125,104,72,122,#2 trailer,Brinley Cultivator,and 526 tiller that I took to a local threshers show. I used the 104 and 782 to pull "people movers" around the grounds. Next year I plan to add a 70, a 105 and a few more attachments to the display.
89280.jpg

89281.jpg

89282.jpg

89283.jpg

89284.jpg

Not sure what happened to post. When I previewed it the caption was at the top and all pics were lined up vertically.

Tom,

I do think I got her running on gas, (briefly), but as soon as she started picking up RPMs, the death rattle made itself very apparent. I kinda expected this based on what the PO said. Hopefully the crank isn't too badly beat up and there are some other internals I can use, perhaps the head or a camshaft.

Kendall, I like your thinkin, I just happen to be a rightie
lol.gif

i got 2 out of the clutch (1 was missing from when me and my step dad replced the thrust button, we had started taking it off but stopped and got it without) then i got 2 out the clutch basket.

In other news, was doing my usual tons of mower today but got a flat on one of the big mowers. went to fleet farm since our normal tire shop was closed and luckily enough my carb kit came in early so i should have the 100 running tomorrow

Thanks, Donald.
I took my old filter to Tractor Supply and matched up a genuine Kohler air filter # 25 883 03-S1. A perfect match from the one last put on by the cub dealer here. However the new one comes with a foam pre-cleaner while the dealer never put it on.

Hey guys. What does it mean when hytran is leaking from the top hole in my automatic hydro check valve? Is the valve shot or can I clean/ repair it? Thanks.

Paul W.

what engine/muffler do you have on that 782? i see the exhaust is coming out the side

Brian J:
Cubfaq 55 talks about cleaning the valves in the first part...

Thanks to Bruce N for answering my starter question whether a 16hp Kohler starter out of an off brand tractor (Ford) would work on my 12hp Kohler in my 1200. It does, and boy does it make a difference. Pull choke out, move throttle to half way, hit the key and that K301 roars to life in a second! New starter turns that engine over at about double the speed as the old worn out one.

Charlie, where's the photos of what you were painting?
dunno.gif

I got the transmission for the Original all primed. I had primed it several years ago but I had used some bare metal prep stuff and I think I got a bad batch of it. I've had several parts that I had cleaned up and primed, or primed and painted that the paint was just flaking off of it. I've already redone all the bad stuff except the axles and axle tubes. Saturday I removed the axle tubes and axles. I needed to replace one of the axle bushings anyway. I cleaned them back to bare metal then I wiped them down real good with lacquer thinner. I reinstalled the axle tubes then re-primed the transmission assembly. Now the humidity has crept back up so I don't know when I'll be able to paint the transmission.
thumbsdown.gif

Here's before and after photos. Note the flaking primer on the brake linkage and the axle hubs, especially the hub on the right. It doesn't show up, but the primer was also flaking off of the flange of the axle tubes.

89293.jpg

89294.jpg

Latest posts

Back